How to activate AMD fluid motion?

BigCapitalist

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015
Hey guys,

So I just built a bad A PC, and figured out that since I have an AMD Fury, or just an AMD card for that matter, that when watching movies I can activate something called AMD Fluid Motion, which I is supposed to make frame rates better and provide a smoother image.

But the problem is I cant figure out where or how to activate it, would one of you AMD users know?

Any help is appreciated! :D

Solution
Hello,

A 60 Hz display is going to use 3:2 pulldown/telecine, when it's displaying a 24 FPS movie. At 120 Hz or 144 Hz, 24 FPS is multiples of both, 24 * 5 = 120, 24 * 6 = 144. This means that on a 120 Hz display, each frame of the movie is showed to you 5 times, without the use of interpolation. The technique you want to increase the FPS of the movie, is bad for movies, they'll look too smooth. The only displays that actually lower the Hz when displaying a movie, are displays that run at 100 Hz, Europe for instance, are using 50 Hz (60 in US), and 100 Hz (120 in US), but what these displays do in Europe, is lower the refresh rate by 4 Hz, so they land on 96 Hz, this is then used to double the frames by 24 * 4 = 96, instead (although...

BigCapitalist

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015

Forgot to say, I have a 60hz freesync monitor, but from what I have read, most movies are shot in 24 fps or something crappy like that, I do know though that on a tv, you can change the hz and make it look smoother, don't know about a monitor though.

From what ive read, with AMD Fluid Motion activated, I should be able to get 48fps or something like that. But cant figure out how to activate it. Even if what ive read is wrong, and the movie is playing at my monitors refresh rate, it should at the very least make the image motion smoother, but cant firgire out where and how to activate it, I have the latest AMD crimson drivers if that makes any difference.

Hello,

A 60 Hz display is going to use 3:2 pulldown/telecine, when it's displaying a 24 FPS movie. At 120 Hz or 144 Hz, 24 FPS is multiples of both, 24 * 5 = 120, 24 * 6 = 144. This means that on a 120 Hz display, each frame of the movie is showed to you 5 times, without the use of interpolation. The technique you want to increase the FPS of the movie, is bad for movies, they'll look too smooth. The only displays that actually lower the Hz when displaying a movie, are displays that run at 100 Hz, Europe for instance, are using 50 Hz (60 in US), and 100 Hz (120 in US), but what these displays do in Europe, is lower the refresh rate by 4 Hz, so they land on 96 Hz, this is then used to double the frames by 24 * 4 = 96, instead (although power supplies make it pretty much universal across the globe in terms of refresh rate), in order to get the same judder free playback as the cinema. Interpolation however, is producing new frames, between existing ones, if this is the look you're going for, then go ahead and use interpolation I guess...

Read about it here, I have never used it personally, so I can't tell you whether or not it's compatible with your specs: http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/perfect-picture

Solution

BigCapitalist

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015
How in the world do you know all of that? I came to the right place.
Anyways, yeah, the link you sent me is what I'm talking about, read it already, but just trying to figure out where to activate it. I go into the Crimson software, and go to video, under more it says AMD fluid motion but no place activate it. The only reason I really want to figure out how to use it is ive heard it makes movies look better and feel more realistic, and I know I can use it, just cant figure out how.

I have seen movies in a tv at like 200 or 144hz, and did not like it, it felt weird to me, like I was watching a dream, I dunno, just felt weird.

BigCapitalist

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015

How in the world do you know all of that? I came to the right place.
Anyways, yeah, the link you sent me is what I'm talking about, read it already, but just trying to figure out where to activate it. I go into the Crimson software, and go to video, under more it says AMD fluid motion but no place activate it. The only reason I really want to figure out how to use it is ive heard it makes movies look better and feel more realistic, and I know I can use it, and if I don't like it not use it, just cant figure out how.

I have seen movies in a tv at like 200 or 144hz, and did not like it, it felt weird to me, like I was watching a dream, I dunno, just felt weird.

The problem with that question is that I'm not that familiar with blu ray playback on a PC monitor. On a TV, you have to select 24p mode on the TV, and 24p mode on the blu ray player, that's the only way it'll repeat frames to get rid of telecine. There are native 120 Hz, and there are native 240 Hz TV's since 2010 but inputs are different from what they can "accept". A lot of people are just misinformed by people that think they know what they're talking about, it happens too often, unfortunately. The interpolation is fantastic however, for sports. Imagine a puck on the ice in your favorite NHL game, on a native 120 Hz TV, the static response time is going to be 8.3 ms, because 1 / 120 = 0.00833. The problem however, is that it's not enough to get rid of the ghosting to properly see the puck move on an LCD, because the pixels are always on. That's when interpolation really can make a difference, by producing brand new frames, you'll get really sharp action, even when a puck is moving on the screen. For movies however, you don't want this, though some do like this look, don't get me wrong. I've found an article that may answer the questions you have, by guru3d: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-catalyst-14-12-driver-the-omega-driver,6.html

As far as smooth playback is concerned, the real cinema look can't be achieved on a 60 Hz LCD, unfortunately. That is as far as I'm concerned anyways. I know a lot more about TV's, than I do about monitors. Hopefully someone else can help answer that question, sorry.

allenshchang

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
In Radeon Setting>Video>Custom> AMD Fluid Motion Video.

But in order to enable Fluid Motion in video player, you either need to be using POWERDVD 14 or MPC/Potplayer with BlueSkyFRC plugin.
Try searching for BlueskyFRC, there should be plenty guide for it.