Windows Install Corrupts Multiple Times?

gibbls

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Hello, I am at the end of my rope here. I have an SSD for boot and League of Legends(OCZ VERTEX 4) and an 2TB HDD that I store everything else on. I have had Windows 10 since the officla release and have had zero issues, then one day I had a memory leak with some program so I figured that a quick reset sould fix the issue (full reinstall). After the reinstall it did not update correctly and corrupted the files essentially forcing a complete wipe, which means I had to reinstall my old Windows 8.1 install and then redownload Windows 10 again, which I did. The computer would work for 24 hours then some error would occur, I have seen every error from updates breaking to the boot files corrupting over the past 2 weeks and its driving me nuts. I have wiped/fresh installed on the drive at least 10 times in the past 2 weeks. This past week I was able to get a Windows 7 disk to install and update without a hitch and it worked up until tonight when it failed just like my Windows 10 installs. My question here is, is it my SSD that is failing (it is 2 years old) or is it my motherboard/SATA ports failing? I have tried multiple different ports but it does not make a difference. I would like some opinions before i drop a buncho money on a new SSD if that is the issue. I have never had so many Windows failures before and I would appreciate any help!!!

Solution
Test your memory! - No, seriously.. I can recall a time when i would get all sorts of different everytime, random errors occurring. I didn't know what it was until i tested the memory.
You've also mentioned memory errors.. i could be as simple as changing out dodgy memory. Test with the built in Win memory tester.. but better with Memtest 86

ktolo

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Test your memory! - No, seriously.. I can recall a time when i would get all sorts of different everytime, random errors occurring. I didn't know what it was until i tested the memory.
You've also mentioned memory errors.. i could be as simple as changing out dodgy memory. Test with the built in Win memory tester.. but better with Memtest 86

Solution

gibbls

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Alrighty I am going to give the memory test a try today and hopefully that works, if its dodgy memory I have backup sticks for until new ones arrive! Thanks for the suggestions guys I will report back with my status soon :)

gibbls

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
I have performed a Memtestx86 on my first RAM stick and it gave 0 errors after 4 passes, going to test my 2nd stick just for the hell of it, but I tried rebooting with the errorless RAM stick and it did the same quick blue screen flash and it is 100% impossible to get back into the OS since keyboard/mouse will not boot when prompted to do any of the startup repair options. I am going to test the last RAM stick and then reinstall Windows onto the HDD and see if just using that drive works for about a week or 2, if thats the case I geuss I will need a new SSD, Thanks for the suggestions guys if you can think of anything else I would love to hear ideas aonce my SSD has some important data on it (I hopefully can slave the drive to get the files off without wiping it).

ktolo

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
OK, so your ram is fine. And, since we can rule out ram, it does start to sound like your ssd is problematic. (Clean installs shouldn't give so much trouble unless there is faulty hardware somewhere!)
If you can manage it, i'd try installing OCZ Guru - and see if it turns up anything..

http://ocz.com/ssd-guru