Windows 10 from Dreamspark

EpikFury

Reputable
Dec 11, 2015
Hi,

So while I was searching for Windows 10 version prices I remembered I am a student ( :D ) and went on Dreamspark Premium for my school.

There I found I am eligible for both Windows 10 Education 32/64 bit and Windows 10 Multiple Editions 32/64 bit.

Questions :
1)Is there a reason to go for Multiple Editions instead of Education?As far as Im aware Multiple Editions only contains Home and Pro and both are inferior to Education features-wise.Is there a difference when it comes to gaming and apps?

2)Also does the OS you get from Dreamspark stop working after you graduate?Because that would be a major bummer.

3)Are the versions on Dreamspark OEM or Retail? I definitely do not want my OS locked to my motherboard as it is very likely that it will be upgraded in the near future.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I can help with 2 and 3 not sure about the edu editions features.

2) I also have dreamspark and it depends on your school and the options they choose I think i have mine for 2 years after I graduate.

3) They are OEM meaning they are only supposed to be used once. I have used a dreamspark key more than once but I had to call micrsoft to get it activated useally they will work with you.

The only features the EDU version adds over Home and Pro are related to network management. So from the users perspective it adds nothing. But if your an IT admin it means you have greater server level control over what the deployed desktops can do.

EpikFury

Reputable
Dec 11, 2015
There is also this to consider : https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/3rgzis/will_windows_10_from_dreamspark_work_if_the/

It seems that some people say that Dreamspark has retail licenses while others are adamant that they only hand out oems.

@Dunlop0078 Are you sure that they are oems?Have you tried switching mobo/cpu and you werent allowed for example?

Also on the link above I read that Windows 10 Edu must not be used for general purpose activities such as web browsing or email access or non-STEM activities. What does that even mean? Are we not allowed to play games on that or what?

Anyone that has Windows 10 Education please contribute as well. I really want to get to the bottom of this because I was leaning towards buying Retail until I saw that I was eligible for this version

Microsoft wanted to help Science technology engineering and math departments with cheap/free software for education. It is intended for stem educational needs rather than saving you money on a game machine. Kind of a honor system on how you use it.