DPC Watchdog Violation Help!

Str8Pimpinn

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
Hi,

so I hadn't used my PC in about a week, during which time it was just shut off. I tried booting it up and all of a sudden I got a BSOD DPC Watchdog Violation error notice and no whenever I try and boot it goes to diagnosing PC and then offers advanced settings or to just restart.

I'm running Windows 10 and can provide other hardware that you guys think you need to help solve this. All help is much appreciated!

Str8Pimpinn

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014

Desktop. I had searched this error message and saw others mention it's probably a device driver however I don't know where to move forward from here as I can't boot it fully

Try rolling back to a previous restore point:
http://www.pcappspot.com/dpc-watchdog-violation-fixed/

Str8Pimpinn

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014

I already tried that but it turns out I don't have one. Lesson learned, definitely gonna' make sure to keep one and have it updated regularly when I get this over with. Didn't actually realize I didn't have one. I also tried to reset my PC and reinstall but there was no space to do so on the hard drive/ssd/whichever I'm booting from (can't remember, think it was SSD)

If you don't need anything that is currently on the SSD you can reformat it during the fresh install process.

If you originally upgraded in place from a previous Windows version there will be recovery files left around just in case you wanted to roll back to the previous OS version.

A clean install of the OS is always the better choice. It doesn't carry forward the problems that exist in the old OS version.

Str8Pimpinn

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014

Okay but I'd rather not completely wipe my SSD - think I have some stuff on there which I wanted to boot/run/whatever faster.

Is there another possible solution other than wiping and reinstalling?

Update: I tried resetting just the drive windows is installed on and it said there was a problem resetting my pc and yeah, wouldn't work. Any advice?