Three Monitors Different Colors

xb2003

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
I have three Dell P2214H monitors and the colors are different on all three with my GTX 660. I had a GTX 970 not too long ago with all three hooked up via DisplayPort and there was little discernible difference with factory settings and the same presets on the monitors, default Windows settings and calibration. But with this 660 I have two that are hooked up via DVI, the last DP. The one using DP has the most washed out colors, and I'm struggling to correct this. (Maybe the washed out is more accurate and the other two are hyped, I don't know) The two monitors using DVI have similar colors but still one is more intense than the other.

I have tried doing Windows Calibration (and OS X for that matter) and cannot get them remotely similar. The Whites are close, but colors are just way different. I am at nearly the same angle to all three monitors.

Is it possible that cables can cause this, or maybe different ports on the monitors? Or is DP more accurate (or less) for colors? I'm just trying to get an idea of what is going on, because the 970, like I said, did not seem to have this issue.

Thanks!

The same monitors can display different colors. My three dell ultrasharps are now exception. The monitor on my left needs to be about 50nits lower in brightness to match my other two. This is why you need to calibrate with a tool like a spyder pro. I've never compared different input. I would think a digital signal being digital wouldn't care what cable it was going through. While I'm no expert perhaps DVI isn't a "pure" digital signal because it can be easily converted analog.

http://www.amazon.com/Datacolor-S5X100-Spyder5EXPRESS/dp/B00UBSL2TO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1452791602&sr=8-2&keywords=spyder+pro

Monitors are subject to manufacturing tolerances, so they may well have variation in colour reproduction (generally colour temperature varies) - this is why some more expensive monitors (e.g. Dell UltraSharp) come with factory calibration. As long as it's a digital input, the input shouldn't matter, and generally, soft-calibration (Windows built in) or doing it "by eye" doesn't work well.

Have you set them to the same contrast and brightness setting (whilst they can all be different, it's a starting point)? Does one still look washed out? Do any look like they have a colour tint?

If you can't get them looking the same, and you want them to, your best bet is to spring for a hardware calibration device, such as the X-Rite ColorMunki Smile ($90), to generate an ICC file for each (cheapest reasonable solution).

xb2003

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
I realize that their will be variances, it just seemed odd to me that they looked so much closer, at least to my eye, with the 970. Yes the brightness and contrast are all the same. The washed out one seems to be lacking some blues, but it doesn't help if I add more blues in (or take away red and green for that matter. How do the calibrators work? Are their hidden monitor settings or something that I would have to access?

No. It's a camera that looks at your screen under test conditions. They then create a profile that windows will use to alter screen colors. They primarily work as a driver. The only thing I have to do is set the brightness. The camera will tell me just how bright the screen is and what the target brightness will be. In theory if two people had IDENTICAL monitors, one person could just copy the profile from another and load it manually. But as we discussed already no two screens are truly identical.

Hello,

Could you post a picture please?

It's super easy to tell if your monitors aren't using the same panels, due to outsourcing or different batches. If that's the case, then it won't be possible to match them, unfortunately. To clarify, even after calibrating, and even if the graph looks perfect on all monitors, the colors might not look the same, so all you'll have is an accurate graph.

TRENDING THREADS