New Monitor 1080P Monitor, Terrible Youtube Quality?

Josh Tong

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
I recently purchased a new ASUS Monitor..

ASUS VG248QE 24" Full HD 1920x1080 TN 144Hz 1ms DisplayPort HDMI DVI-D Ergonomic Back-lit LED Gaming Monitor

It's awesome, it gives me 1080P 144HZ gameplay and I absolutely love it.. However.. Ever since I got this new monitor, the videos quality I watch on Youtube is absolutely atrocious. I don't have this problem watching movies on my monitor, but whenever I'm watching a Youtube video it's absolutely horrible. You can almost count the pixels.

Here's a screenshot from my monitor while watching a video on Youtube (1080p60hz). You can literally see the pixels, while other people who have watched the video commend the high definition quality of the video.. It has to be a problem with my monitor.

ZqEZOqb.jpg

I'm using the included white DVI cable that came with the monitor, as it is the only way to achieve 144hz. I also believe that a HDMI cable did not fix this problem.

I read up on this issue, and there is even a few posts about people having the same issue. My old monitor (a 720p LCD TV monitor) didn't have this problem.

Solution
Youtube videos have heavy compression. Compression causes macro blocks.

I do NOT think it is the monitor.

Do images look ok?

EDIT
I am kind of guessing you had less noticeable artifacts before because your video card was scaling the video down softening things up a bit.

editing with image examples in a min.
Youtube videos have heavy compression. Compression causes macro blocks.

I do NOT think it is the monitor.

Do images look ok?

EDIT
I am kind of guessing you had less noticeable artifacts before because your video card was scaling the video down softening things up a bit.

editing with image examples in a min.

Solution
Here are some example images.

I use JPG compression because everyone should have seen it. Video compression is similar in many ways. Images are zoomed to show the effect. No Chroma sub sampling is used because it makes things even worse(but may be used in some videos as well).

Uncompressed.
2yzhroy.jpg

JPG 100% quality(no sub sampling). Note it still looses some quality.
29bm34.jpg

JPG 80% quality(no sub sampling)
2ldat8o.jpg

JPG 60% quality(no sub sampling)
20q1g7a.jpg

JPG 40% quality(no sub sampling)
dfys6v.jpg

Text example.

Uncompressed.
15fm8u0.jpg

80 percent quality.
2zjiav6.jpg

The need for a dual link DVI cable for 144hz is normal.