Black screen wih blinking white dash when booting from new hard drive

austin7245

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
I recently got a new computer and have been trying to upgrade from windows 10 32 bit to 64 bit. i am fairly certain i have done everything correctly as windows downloaded, however, when i try to boot from my new hard drive (the drive i downloaded windows onto) it just sits at a black screen with a white blinking dash. I have also talked to windows support for like 3 hours which didn't help and was a waste of time. please help!!

Welcome to the community, Austin!

I'd recommend you to try resolving the issue by resetting BIOS using one of the methods listed here: http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS
This would get the BIOS settings back to factory defaults, so you'd need reconfigure them (if you have made any changes there so far).
Another thing that might help is booting from the Windows Installation Media instead of the HDD, maybe that would help you see if there's anything wrong with the drive.
I'd also go to your motherboard/computer manufacturer's website and search for your model, in order to re-install and update to the latest drivers available (especially the SATA controller & chipset drivers).

Give these a try and keep me posted! :)
SuperSoph_WD

austin7245

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016

I have already tried to boot from the installation media it just tries to install windows again. have also tried to update the drivers but that didn't work and neither did resetting my bios. any other suggestions?

Hey there again, Austin!

Since you are able to boot from the installation media, I'd recommend you to boot into the Windows Recovery Menu and use the advanced option to get to the Automatic Repair menu. Once you are there, you can try using the Command Prompt and to fix the MBR on the drive. Here's a tutorial that might be able to assist you: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows

Let me know how it goes! Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

austin7245

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016

When I enter the code "bootrec /RebuildBcd" it finds 1 installation of windows and asks if I want to add it to the boot list. When I say yes, it comes up with the message " the requested system device cannot be found"