Rocketfish 1tb HDD enclosure barely works...affecting the whole OS.

TheDemoniusX

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
I will try to make this as simple as I can make this sound so that I don't confuse people in explaining this annoyance. I tried win 10 3 times and truthfully I love it as it's light,simple and runs just like a OS should with a few exceptions....Like my problem, so here goes.

My friend gave me a RocketFish enclosure with a TB of HDD space for my BDay last year. This drive was detected in win 7 right away and works like a charm. I was happy because I was running out of HDD space due to how many games,emulators,music and movies I put on it (I love "stuff"). When installing Win 10 it reads the HDD just fine AT FIRST but after a while you'll hear that "disconnection" sound and Win 10 no longer reads it OR the entire computer will become unstable and won't load anything until I unplug the drive, if the drive isn't plugged in the OS works just fine.Plugging it back in will do one or two things. One it will cause everything to crawl when trying to load ANYTHING even file browsing and Two the drive won't show up at all in my drive list so I can't access files or run any programs!

Frustrated as hell,I gave up after three days of forum browsing,trying new things then finally reverted back to Win 7 and the drive once again worked fine when Win 7 was back up. Was able to access files, play emulators,games or browse around to find something to do.I went through this 3 times. Has anyone had a similar experience? if so what did you do to fix it. If I can find or get some kind of solution I would consider re-installing Win 10 because as I stated, I like it but if it's software in recognizing certain USB devices is crap like I've been reading. I may just stick with Win 7. Thanks for reading and maybe I can get my PC to work with Win 10.

Hi there TheDemoniusX,

If you are currently running Win 7, you can test your drive with some of these tools: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
This system unresponsiveness that you describe, could be caused by bad external hard drives. If the tests results show that there is something wrong with the drive, you need to back up the data stored on it.

If there is nothing wrong with the drive, then I guess once you've installed Win 10, you can go to your MOBO's website and update all the drivers(especially USB ones).
Another thing you can do is to go to Device Manager -> Uninstall the device -> Plug it out and reboot -> Plug it back in and wait to install.

Let me know how this goes,
D_Know_WD

TheDemoniusX

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
My results were green on the full HDD test which took an entire day to do. No errors found so my drive is in good health. Used HDD tuner free version. I checked the HP site for my mobo and there is no USB driver update listed. My computer is a HP-Pavilion p6313w. I can try uninstalling and reinstalling the device after the installation of win 10. Should I try that next? what would you suggest is our next step?

Even though these full tests should take some time, a whole day is too much.
Do you have another enclosure or just SATA to USB adapter(+ power cord in case the drive is 3.5'')? Or another try you can try with this enclosure I guess? You need to narrow down the possibilities of what is causing this.

When I went to the enclosure manufacturer website, I saw that there is drivers and firmware section. You can see if these are up to date. I guess you can even contact their Support.

D_Know_WD

TheDemoniusX

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Sounds like something I can try. As I said I got the enclosure and drive as a gift for my Birthday and the drive works fine with no issues in Win 7 but goes completely useless in win 10 thus I don't have another enclosure. I'll download updated drivers on rocketfishes website and let's hope that will fix the issue. When I had win 10 installed I was trying my hardest to narrow it down to the very probable cause seeing how everything I use entertainment wise is on that drive. Hopefully time tomorrow permits me to give this a try. Thanks for responding to me. I'll let you what happens!

EDIT: I searched for new drivers for my enclosure (RF-HD3035) Sadly I didn't see any. All I see is owner's manual and warranty info.