I need help setting up a gaming rig... I need to know if I need to buy a new motherboard and CPU if I want to play star wars b

Kanadadad

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016
I really need help setting up my new gaming rig... I used to play games soley on computers however that changed for many years and I just recently decided to get back into it. I am a little behind and need some advice...

I need help setting up a gaming rig... I need to know if I need to buy a new motherboard and CPU if I want to play star wars battlefront, Squad and Arma3 @ 1080p with very high AA and whatnot..

My current setup:

Intel i7 Core (bloomfield) @ 3.20 ghz
24gb DDR3 memory I think it is 1600mhz
I have some SSD's 3.0

However the PCI-E ports on this EVGA board is 2.0

I was thinking of buying 2 GTX 750Ti's and running them in SLI but I only want to invest that money if I know it will allow me to play the above games... Or is my system too dated and won't run all the intensive modern games while looking good...

THanks for anyone who helps me out :)

Dapanji

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
750 TI doesn't support SLI, so that's a no go. Anyways, I would suggest you get a stronger single GPU instead of 2 weaker ones. It allows more upgrade room, produces less heat, plus, not all games are optimized to run in SLI/Crossfire configurations. If you tell me how much you can spend on a GPU, I can recommend you one. Your CPU and RAM are fine btw.

Kanadadad

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016
Well this mobo's PCIe ports are only 2.0 so are 3.0 cards backward compatible? Price isn't really a issue provided it will work. I don't want to spend a ton of money then find out it doesn't work in my board or that my cpu and/or memory will be prevent me from playing the games.

Dapanji

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
PCI-e 3.0 is backwards compatible and you won't experience any performance loss when running a GPU on 2.0. If money is not the problem, you could go with an R9 390 or a GTX 970. Both are great price/performance cards and are great for 1080p gaming. I recommend the 390 since it's a little bit faster than a 970 and has much more vram, making it more "future-proof" as people like to call it.