How to connect/configure hdmi to pc?

Alexk492

Reputable
Jun 4, 2015
I need to figure out how to connect my pc to my tv pretty soon. Though, the pc isnt even detecting the hdmi.

Right now, i am using a dvi cable. The pc is working just fine, but i tried to connect it with a hdmi with the pc, and no picture. I am assuming you have to kinda configure it first.

I connected a hdmi to my graphics card, and clicked "Detect" on my pc. Nothing pops up, didnt detect another display. This is getting kinda annoying, and im starting to think that it detects another monitor, not port. Do i have to connect the hdmi to the monitor, also...? I dont think that the pc is detecting the hdmi, or at least isnt doing anything about it. I have windows 10, btw.

Would it be possible to do it the easy way, and order a hdmi to dvi adapter? Like... plug the dvi into the graphics card, have the adapter change it to hdmi, and plug the hdmi to the tv? If so, link, please? Would this work? http://www.amazon.ca/Importer520-Plated-Female-DVI-D-Adapter/dp/B0035B4LJM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452893256&sr=8-1&keywords=dvi+to+hdmi+adaptor

I am able to play my xbox 360 on the tv. The hdmi works on the tv, and I have the gtx 970.

Solution
Unless you tv auto switches or senses when a Hdmi cable is attached to it and has power coming from a device or video port of a graphics card.

You have to manualy change the source selection on the tv to the Hdmi port the pc is connected to on your tv.
All the Hdmi ports are listed by number depending on how many it has.

Flicking through the remote and changing the source input on your tv remote with the pc on should give you an image.

Yes you can buy a Dvi to Hdmi cable or a converter adapter if you wish.

theyeti87

Honorable
I would ensure that you have all of the drivers up-to-date for your GPU. During the last driver installation process, you may have unchecked the HDMI audio driver, which would likely cause the HDMI-out on the GPU to not function correctly.

Unless you tv auto switches or senses when a Hdmi cable is attached to it and has power coming from a device or video port of a graphics card.

You have to manualy change the source selection on the tv to the Hdmi port the pc is connected to on your tv.
All the Hdmi ports are listed by number depending on how many it has.

Flicking through the remote and changing the source input on your tv remote with the pc on should give you an image.

Yes you can buy a Dvi to Hdmi cable or a converter adapter if you wish.

Solution