Monitor vs Tv which one?

Solution
It will work but a 40" screen is too big to sit that close to. Over time you will make your eyes go farsighted so it will be blurry up close. This is the same thing that happens when people get older but this will accelerate it. Smart phones and other tiny screens that you look super close to also cause this.

My dad has this from office work and using a blackberry lots. As it gets worse you swap for stronger and stronger reading glasses. Other things like Fresnel lens sheets and huge magnifying glasses help too.

It's a good idea to put your computer monitor at varying distances from you and not have it always in the same spot so your eyes don't just focus the same amount for too long. Also varying where you sit in front of your tv...

koffeeshop77

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
you links are not working for some reason.

but i like my TV & monitor personally.
if you have both you can game on tv while stille have you desktops n stuff pulled up on monitor beside you. really when once you get use to it and extend you desktopspace and all you can never have to much, watch a movie on one interneton the other or home work what ever gets you going.

with win 10 you can now snap 4 = 8 windows into place it is so amazing, i am a horrible multitasker but it is a requirement at my job so i go use to it

need4speeds

Distinguished
It will work but a 40" screen is too big to sit that close to. Over time you will make your eyes go farsighted so it will be blurry up close. This is the same thing that happens when people get older but this will accelerate it. Smart phones and other tiny screens that you look super close to also cause this.

My dad has this from office work and using a blackberry lots. As it gets worse you swap for stronger and stronger reading glasses. Other things like Fresnel lens sheets and huge magnifying glasses help too.

It's a good idea to put your computer monitor at varying distances from you and not have it always in the same spot so your eyes don't just focus the same amount for too long. Also varying where you sit in front of your tv helps too.
It happens because the tv and monitor does the focusing for you so your eyes get lazy and become fixed focus eyes sort of like a cheap camera.

Solution
An LCD monitor cannot cause permanent eye damage to sight/vision. All they can do is cause temporary strain/blurriness, due to the room temparute, monitor temperature, brightness, blink less, no bias light, etc. Nobody has ever gotten permanent eye damage by an LCD monitor or TV. And to add to that, then I really shouldn't sit 7 feet away from my 77". The only reason this debate exists, is because of HD content, you don't want to sit too close because you'll notice moire, screen door effect, or even the pixel structure, not because it causes eye damage.

need4speeds

Distinguished
Nope your wrong, the monitor type has nothing to do with it, however crt's have been blamed for cancer and cataracts because of the x-rays. Hardly anyone uses a crt anymore so i didn't include those. Remember the CRT monitor's that said "low radiation" on them as a selling feature? I had a 21" flat-screen CRT that said that on it.
It meant the x-rays were lower than monitors without that rating. The flicker was also not good for your eyes and that has improved with the lcd's.

It has to do with always focusing at the same distance and focal point length. This also can be caused by reading lots with the text at the same distance too. This eye damage has existed since the start of the printing press and reading glasses were invented not long after that. I suppose the first ones used a candle backlight. lol.

need4speeds

Distinguished
You can look at the screen 2 feet away sometimes, or at a tiny screen up close sometimes, just don't do it all the time.

I have a office chair for a gaming chair, they are made to tilt back so sometimes you can lean back and look at the screen farther away. This helps make your eyes focus at the screen that's farther away. It also helps office workers nap in a cubical or when your waiting for something to download.

need4speeds

Distinguished
I don't have any CRT's anymore, i did in the past when the K6-III-475 and 3dfx voodoo pci was new.

LCD's are better at least they don't flicker and x-ray you. But looking at anything close up often like that is bad for your eyes.

He is talking about putting a 40" sony 1080p lcdtv on his desk and sitting 2 feet in front of it. Yes it's cool to do it, just be careful about the thing with your eyes.

koffeeshop77

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
i have a bed. :D with a hella ton o pillows
and i work in an office im about tired of sitting when i get home . even 1000$ office chairs can make your ass hurt after a busy day of work, and im like 190lb so not even like fat, but still.

koffeeshop77

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
hmm yeah his link arnt working for me but yeah, there are some cool 144hz screens ultra-wide out there that would be better than 40inch on you desk, i've tried it, it doesn't work, its like so in yourface that you automatically move back, or develop tunnel vision after like 10 min. if you are sitting with a reg flat screen even for CAD you should still restrin yourself to like 27inchs on your desk in a chair. or like 31 ultra wide curved or smaller if you have the money. 40 inch as i mentioned above is still good to hook up cause like evey card can extend the desktop even a intel can, and you can throw a movie on the big screen and relax or game on the smaller one and get a little more intense, but 40 inch flat wont even be able to track of entire screen unless you like hang on wall and go wireless. ...

koffeeshop77

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
honestly i have been starting at sreens all my life and i think we all do, thier is really no one singled out from not , watching tv, gaming, pc's , work , even tv since you were a child,.. phone billbords, ..

what it mostly comes down to in the end is genetics, do your parents wear glasses? grandparents?(not due of old age) then you might / prolly will have a simular eye defect
i have 20/20 vision and work with 2 screens every day, im a dedicated gamer and CS since v1.5 (with crt!) and i have eye insurance and if my doc could sell me some glasses he would love to, but im good on that front.

im not going to get links cause everyone knos how to use DA GOOGLE and i think we got way off topic but it was fun. cya night.