Desktop locks up every time I plug in a headset

ray1583

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
I just recently built my very 1st PC so I am brand new to the whole PC build side of things, I am having an issue that I don't know how to fix. I currently have windows 10 installed which seems to work fine other than the problem I am having with it currently. Every time I plug in a headset w/mic into the mic port and audio port the desktop locks up. I can move the curse around or if I have chrome already up and running I can open and close it. But when you try to click on the start button it wont open/nothing happens, the icons in the task bar wont open, nor will any of the hidden icons. none of the programs on the best top will open. Everything just seems to lock up, and then I have to unplug the headset and then right click on the start button which pops up this bar bones list and click on restart, & once it restarts then it seems fine. The 1st time this happen the whole screen went black along with everything locking up as well. I also tried another headset that I know works and the same thing happens. Like I said I am brand new to all this, so I am at a complete loss as to what I should do to try and fix this. If anyone has any ideas as to what I can do to fix this issue I would really apreciate it. Thanks again for any help

Parts List:
Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
MSI X99A SLI KRAIT EDITION ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
PNY Quadro K2200 4GB Video Card

Solution
According to your product support page, you have a BIOS update as well as device drivers dated towards the end of 2015. Have you installed them after your foray onto Windows 10?

The issue you've stated is pertaining to the audio detection courtesy of your audio device/chip onboard. Installing the latest ones found on MSI or Realtek may help solve the problem.

I'd also ask you to perform a repair install to rid your OS of any possible corruptions.

Lutfij

Titan
According to your product support page, you have a BIOS update as well as device drivers dated towards the end of 2015. Have you installed them after your foray onto Windows 10?

The issue you've stated is pertaining to the audio detection courtesy of your audio device/chip onboard. Installing the latest ones found on MSI or Realtek may help solve the problem.

I'd also ask you to perform a repair install to rid your OS of any possible corruptions.

Solution