Problem With “Default Printer” Under Windows 10

Avagadro1

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
Problem With “Default Printer” Under Windows 10

As with all versions of Windows in my memory, one selects his “DEFAULT PRINTER” from among those listed under Printers, Faxes, Devices, etc. From my previous experience, the selected Default Printer remains such even if, on a specific occasion, you manually choose to print to another device, such as a second printer, PDF Writer, etc.

I now have Windows 10. What’s happening is that even though I selected a Default Printer (the laser printer I use most often), if I manually select to print to a different printer, just one time, that other printer then becomes my Default Printer. This is very bad behavior.

Is my experience typical of Windows 10? Is there a way to retain my Default Printer as such, even if I one-time manually select to print to another device?

Thank you.

Solution
Hello Avagadro1

Can you please try the following:

> Click Start.

> Go to Settings.

> Click the Devices tile.

> From the left pane of the DEVICES window, click to select Printers & scanners.

> From the right pane, move the Let Windows manage my default printer button to Off.

> Close the window, and if needed, restart Windows.

The issue should be resolved by now.

Feel free to report back if further assistance is needed.

Cheers!! :)
Hello Avagadro1

Can you please try the following:

> Click Start.

> Go to Settings.

> Click the Devices tile.

> From the left pane of the DEVICES window, click to select Printers & scanners.

> From the right pane, move the Let Windows manage my default printer button to Off.

> Close the window, and if needed, restart Windows.

The issue should be resolved by now.

Feel free to report back if further assistance is needed.

Cheers!! :)

Solution

Avagadro1

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015

viveknayyar007, YES, your instructions did the trick!

In all of my time and effort to get Windows 10 working properly and in conjunction with my important programs and devices, I never noticed that switch that tells Windows to control my Default Printer.

Again I thank you for taking the time to provide the information and instruction.