BSOD Critical Process Died-Computer Crashing Constantly

Seth Nash

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
I have only been having this issue for the past few weeks. I've had Windows 10 for months with no issues, and have been updating it regularly. I have used Malwarebytes to clear out all issues it can.

What I have tried so far:
-I ran cmd.exe and typed in "powershell", then ran "sfc /SCANNOW". The results were; "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

-I ran "chkdsk c: /f /r" in cmd.exe, and the computer stalled out at 20% on the repairing screen for 20 minutes. Had to reboot and bypass the disk check to get back to desktop.

-I downloaded and ran "Whocrashed", here are the results; http://i.imgur.com/Aa5VnA0.png

-I tried to go back to the last build, but it stalled at the restarting page for about half an hour before I performed a hard reboot (a common issue, apparently).

I have read that the issue could be the hard drive. If so, I imagine replacing it would fix the problem? I have been wanting to get an SSD as my boot drive for a while anyway. But how reliable would my former boot drive be when set as a slave?

Also, could it be my current slave drive causing the issue? It is about seven years old and was originally from a LaCie external hard drive that I then scavenged and placed in my computer (about two years ago). I also wouldn't be too opposed to losing it, as it runs hotter and louder than my primary HDD.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. And if anyone has any suggestions for a reliable SSD (if needed) I would love to hear them.

Specs:
Intel i5-4430
MSI Z87-G41 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 RAM
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hard Drive (Primary)
Seagate 500GB Hard Drive (Slave)
Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 2GB GPU
Windows 10 (Upgraded from Windows 7)

Solution
1| Have you made sure there are no BIOS updates and device drivers pending for update on your system?
2| Since you've stated that the installation is via the free upgrade path, you'll need to revert to Windows 7 and then populate the system with any and/or all hardware changes. Once done reinstall Windows 7, update to SP1 and then receive option to upgrade for free. Once there you can migrate to Windows 10. Mind you you can perform a reinstall of Windows 10 but if you were to change any hardware literally you'll need to revert to older OS to implement said changes.
3| Try a repair install to rule out any corruption in OS's files.

Lutfij

Titan
1| Have you made sure there are no BIOS updates and device drivers pending for update on your system?
2| Since you've stated that the installation is via the free upgrade path, you'll need to revert to Windows 7 and then populate the system with any and/or all hardware changes. Once done reinstall Windows 7, update to SP1 and then receive option to upgrade for free. Once there you can migrate to Windows 10. Mind you you can perform a reinstall of Windows 10 but if you were to change any hardware literally you'll need to revert to older OS to implement said changes.
3| Try a repair install to rule out any corruption in OS's files.

Solution
If those are SATA drives, they dont have slave, only IDE drives do.

I would do a clean install. Upgrading to 10 from something else can always cause probs

This. I tried to go back to the last build, but it stalled at the restarting page for about half an hour.

If you mean it hangs on the post screen then (it's finding it hard to read what's on it).

One of the hdds are probably faulty / ready to die. Remove it

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
3 possibilities I can figure.

1. Hdd is going bad or has bad sectors.
2. You have a virus, which malwarebytes won't detect, probably a root virus.
3. You did an update which while it says was successful, in reality corrupted an existing file.

I'd do a virus scan, use 2-3 different programs for this, just make sure they include root kit scans.

I'd also use WD or Seagate tools to verify the integrity of the primary hdd.

Check the update history, see what updates were implemented just before the errors started occurring and if anyone else has had similar issues. There are so many variables in what programs can affect windows that it'd be impossible for Microsoft to predict or test for each, so sometimes there are conflicts with certain setups.

Windows has cab files containing all needed system and peripheral files, you should be able to use Windows repair from boot to reinstall any corrupted system file. Worth looking into.