irql_not_less_or_equal BSOD randomly

Colm D O

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016
I randomly (and commonly) get BSoDs with a bug check string of IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (Code: 0x0000000a) or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (Code: 0x000000d1).

I can't seem to find the driver that is causing these random blue screens, there doesn't seem to be a reason either as it can range from minutes to hours on getting the blue screen.

Primary specs:
CPU: i7 6700K
Motherboard: Asus z170 Pro Gaming
GPU: Nvidia GTX 980ti
RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR4 @3000MHz

Dump file link (Including latest BSOD mini dump and memory dump):
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E3E16277F8B707C5!5609&authkey=!AOBVlbNyrjKtLgw&ithint=folder%2cdmp

Thanks!

Solution
here is the list of devices that are connected to the intel usb hub
USB\VID_046D&PID_C042 Logitech Inc.
USB\VID_258A&PID_0001 Sino Wealth Electronic Ltd.
USB\VID_045E&PID_02DD Microsoft Corporation

you should let me know what device has the sino wealth electronics chip in it.

--------
you might put all your USB devices on the ASMedia controller, and see if you can disable the Intel USB controller in BIOS and see if you still get this bugcheck.

also, disable the ASMedia UBS controller in BIOS while you test the intel USB controller.

I would also check with intel and see if they have a updated driver for their USB controller that is more current.
the one on the asus site...
note: update the USB firmware, you have a usb device that is having issues.
ie there are 1.6 million entries in the log. the device was
USB\VID_258A&PID_0001&REV_0100 Sino Wealth Electronic Ltd
listed as a usb keyboard. I would update the motherboard firmware, and install any special drivers this device might require. (or turn off the power management so your machine does not try to put the device to sleep)

or put your devices on a USB 2 port to prevent the problems until you update the USB 3.0 firmware.
----------
looks like a firmware problem related to power management.
I would update the BIOS to the current version (you are one version behind) and I would update the drivers for windows 10. http://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/Z170%20PRO%20GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/ (many drivers updated right after windows 10 shipped. (lan, and sound drivers out of date)
particularly, install the driver and run the ASMedia USB 3.1 FW update tool.

BIOS_VERSION: 1102
BIOS_DATE: 11/16/2015
BASEBOARD_MANUFACTURER: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BASEBOARD_PRODUCT: Z170 PRO GAMING
Processor Version Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Processor Voltage 8dh - 1.3V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 4600MHz
Current Speed 4000MHz

Colm D O

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016

Thanks! Will update and try it now. I've also reinstalled Windows 10, just incase it was a bad install.

If it works, I'll mark your answer as solved.

looks like \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\xboxgip.sys Thu Oct 29 19:47:16 2015
was making the calls with the bad buffer that cause the error entries below.
--------
I was looking at the internal error log from this device: dc1-controller
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dc1-controller.sys Thu Oct 29 19:46:54 2015
it has 389440 error entries recorded in 37 mins. I would be looking for a updated version or find out why it is spitting out so many errors(108 errors /second). (buffer too small) see below:

389440: FxRequest::GetMemoryObject - WDFREQUEST 00001FFE83C01AC8 InputBufferLength length is zero,
0xc0000023(STATUS_BUFFER_TOO_SMALL)
389441: FxPowerIdleMachine::processEventLocked - WDFDEVICE 0x00001FFE83CBB668 !devobj 0xFFFFE0017C343E20 entering power idle state FxIdleDecrementIo from FxIdleBusy
389442: FxPowerIdleMachine::processEventLocked - WDFDEVICE 0x00001FFE83CBB668 !devobj 0xFFFFE0017C343E20 entering power idle state FxIdleBusy from FxIdleDecrementIo
---

-------
http://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/Z170%20PRO%20GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/
install the intel lan driver dated 2015/09/22
your version is dated jun 18 2015
or go to the intel site and download the current build. You want to go into device manager and make sure you select the updated version to be the default version used. Ie you could have updated but not changed the default driver selected. (last time I checked my machine I had 12 versions of my intel lan driver on my machine)
-----
you also have this driver and I am not sure what it actually does:
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\DevAuthE.sys Thu Oct 29 19:47:14 2015
you might want to look it up.

I am guessing the driver messed up the streaming for your steam games.

----
you also have something called subprocess.exe that is waiting for a resource and has waited 1.8 million times.
it was waiting on something that GTA5.exe was using.

---------
looks like asus put up another BIOS update 1105 it has microcode updates for the CPU. it could be related to your problem below.
http://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/Z170%20PRO%20GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

otherwise I would guess there is some bug in how idle cores are being shutdown in the CPU or BIOS code.
--------
first memory dump was cause by a bad memory address (zero) used by a driver.
maybe the kernel memory dump will show the driver name.

second memory dump was the same problem but has more info.
looks like processor 2 was told to go went idle, then the powermanagement driver told it to stop and go into c1halt state.
after that it tried to load memory and run memory address zero which bugchecked the machine.

I would think this will be a bug in your BIOS or intelppm.sys that was being used. ( Intel Processor driver)
the driver:
intelppm.sys Thu Oct 29 19:09:51 2015

machine info:
BIOS Version 1104
BIOS Starting Address Segment f000
BIOS Release Date 01/11/2016
Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Product Z170 PRO GAMING
Socket Designation LGA1151
Processor ID e3060500fffbebbf
Processor Version Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Processor Voltage 8dh - 1.3V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 4600MHz
Current Speed 4000MHz

Colm D O

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016
Thanks for your reply, I've updated to the Asus 1105 bios with no luck.

I've definitely updated the intel LAN drivers to the latest (using Asus's website), device manager reports version 12.13.17.4 for the driver and Intel(R) PROSet version 20.2.4001.0. I'm not sure if Asus uploaded an old driver though. I also only have 1 intel LAN driver showing in device manager.

The devauthe.sys driver, is a "Xbox Device Authentication Driver" from Microsoft according to properties.
dc1-controller.sys and xboxgip.sys are also part of the Xbox controller. Do you think that is the cause for these IRQL issues? I'm apparently on the latest version.

New Dump files:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E3E16277F8B707C5!5630&authkey=!AHyT_gPyrEO8Ero&ithint=folder%2cdmp

here is the list of devices that are connected to the intel usb hub
USB\VID_046D&PID_C042 Logitech Inc.
USB\VID_258A&PID_0001 Sino Wealth Electronic Ltd.
USB\VID_045E&PID_02DD Microsoft Corporation

you should let me know what device has the sino wealth electronics chip in it.

--------
you might put all your USB devices on the ASMedia controller, and see if you can disable the Intel USB controller in BIOS and see if you still get this bugcheck.

also, disable the ASMedia UBS controller in BIOS while you test the intel USB controller.

I would also check with intel and see if they have a updated driver for their USB controller that is more current.
the one on the asus site http://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/Z170%20PRO%20GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/
is dated 2015/08/0 (chipset update)
try this intle driver update tool and see if they can provide a current driver:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24345/Intel-Driver-Update-Utility

-----
your problems must be coming out of the USB subsystem. It looks like you do not have anything connected to the ASMedia controller

the intel usb controller looks like it has 3 devices but there are just a huge number of log entries and various errors being logged. something is wrong, a error is generated and then the controller is reset.
Some of the errors look to be power management related. Some look like driver bugs. You might want to check your BIOS and make sure you don't have any custom bios extensions turned on, I would also look for settings to prevent the USB ports from going to sleep.

normally the logs will have 75 or so entries and the wrap around so I normally see maybe 250 entries have been made. In the case of your machine, I see entry numbers in the 900,000 range. (and all the logs are like that)

I would remove any usb device from the machine that I could, I would install any intel chipset updates that I could find. I would disable any power management funtions to see if they have a effect on the problem.
You might put all of your devices on the asmedia 3.0 controller and see if you have the same problem.

---------------
start cmd.exe as an admin, then run
verifier.exe /all
reboot
make sure you know how to get into windows safe mode so you can disable verifier after the next bugcheck.
verifier.exe /reset
turns off the driver checking.
make sure you have the memory dump type set to kernel and provide the memory.dmp file with verifier turned on.

I will look through the memory.dmp but it looks like the same problem as the minidump.

minidump shows the system trying to page in and run address zero.
no verifier flags set.

driver:
intel ethernet driver does not look like it was updated
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\e1d65x64.sys Thu Jun 18 09:37:56 2015

Solution