Laptop with 970m graphics card output to external monitor 144hz? (For CS:GO)

captemo

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
So far, my research includes these 2 previously solved threads which I believe answer my question but I wanted to add some information and have someone clarify for me.
Thread 1
Thread 2

So based on those threads, if my understanding is correct, my Alienware 17 R2 which has a mini-DisplayPort should be able to output to an external 144hz monitor through a mini-DP to DP cable.

The part I wished to add onto it was since my laptop actually has an integrated graphics Intel card, along with the GTX 970M, would there be an issue with the integrated graphics limiting the monitor to 60hz instead of the desired 144hz? (It seemed the guy in Thread 1 had only a 980M output so I wasn't too sure.)

I don't necessarily plan on getting the monitor mentioned in Thread 2, but if anyone has any decent monitors that they would suggest, I'd appreciate it.

Quick EDIT: The Intel handles all the basic functions of the display while I have it set so that the 970M takes over when I'm playing CS:S or CS:GO. I get around 200-300 fps in each. There isn't a way to set the 970M as the default display even though I have done my research and tried to change that in the BIOS.

Solution
According to dell, the discrete graphics are render only gpus within their laptops. Meaning the intergrated graphics are responsible for rendering the final image while discrete graphics does all the "leg work". To paraphrase, it would be possible to run an external monitor at 144hz for this reason.
According to dell, the discrete graphics are render only gpus within their laptops. Meaning the intergrated graphics are responsible for rendering the final image while discrete graphics does all the "leg work". To paraphrase, it would be possible to run an external monitor at 144hz for this reason.

Solution