Adding high end graphics to a mini Dell Optiplex PC -very custom-

TrueXRT_1

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016
Goal is I want a portable solution that is not a laptop, using what I currently have besides some low cost cables, etc, I can use for modest gaming. Everywhere I go will have a 1080p TV I can pop an HDMI cord into. I currently use a shield TV and gamestream but it is not always the greatest when on limited Bandwidth. I have looked at SFF gaming options like a Asus G20AJ-US009S but with my history of 4 PS4s and an XBox1 being wrecked by Airport baggage I'd rather not spend anything on what probably won't live for more than a few months since I fly 3-4 times a month on average.

I have some some Dell optiplex SFF PCs, in particular a 380 that's been hooked up with a q9550s, 8Gb ram and a 500Gb SSD. It's fairly snappy but is lacking in the graphics department.

I have a low profile 750 ti, however the non standard PSU in the unit is 235W Max output. I have not found any results for a large one compatible with the case. No power connectors on the video card, pulls everything from PCIe bus.

Another thought I have is a GTX 970 card (short version) I have laying around. When the SSD was put in the DVD drive was removed with the SSD now taking it's location and HDD completely removed. This opens a lot of space in the middle of the case, with a PCIe riser cable I could mount the card sideways, so it is parallel to the mainboard and use pieces of ducting and fans from various other PCs to make cooling possible. Limitation would be feeding the the 8 pin power connector on the card.

Both of these options I would run into power issues. I could lug around an extra atx powersupply but that would be unwieldy and a considerable amount of space. I do have some Dell D220P powersupplies from a different style of PC that have an 8pin plug like what is on the video card and my meter shows 12v reading from some of the pins. Does anyone know much about these and if it could be compatible with powering a GPU? The label on it says rated for 12V-18A.

Thanks for your ideas and knowledge.

There is nothing you can do with a small form factor power supply to make it run a gaming video card.

Why not a laptop? Since you fly, it's a carry on, no need to worry about damage, and if you fly with a console all the time, you can get a foam padded hard-case box. Making one is pretty easy, luggage from Goodwill, foam from art supply store with a heat wire to cut it.

If you want a portable gaming system, you should use a mini gaming case and a regular power supply. But then you are putting it in the cargo hold anyway.

TrueXRT_1

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016
My solution actually came from a friend who gave me a power supply designed for Dell 1U server chassis, it was rated for 450W and had the power connector to hook up the 970. To fit the 970 I had to mod the case a little and use a 3" PCIe riser cable to mount it parallel to the MB. Added a fan to help direct airflow and this system plays FO4, witcher3, ARK, pretty much anything I've put on it without a problem.

The power supply is longer than the stock so removal of the dvd/cd drive is required. A sideways mounted SSD with custom mounts will still fit there to allow for custom Graphics card mounting in the center of the case.

Use of a low profile card like the 750ti and this PSU should allow installation without having to make mounts or modify the case for anything.

Other than the GPU if anything does break I have spares or can get replacements easy. Though I've added rubberized buffers to prevent excessive movement of anything inside.