Latest win 10 update killed my xonar phoebus sound card software!!!

Aeon Horus

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Hi

First of all thanks for taking the time to help me out here...

Two days ago on the 16th January 2016 my PC updated and required a reboot, so I dutifully did as I was asked, worrying as to whether everything would still be OK as in the past win 10 updates have pretty much messed with everything from display drivers to my antivirus not working hmmmph!

So I waited for the update to install and yes to my dismay another problem, NO SOUND!

I have an Asus Xonar Phoebus Rog sound card, so I headed off to their website to see if I could download some updated drivers, and yes their they were. Thankfully, I downloaded them and installed them, YeY! We have sound.

My motherboard is MSI Z97 Gaming 7.

I also have Realtek Digital Output and AMD High Definition Audio Device (could these be interfering ? They didn't before)

BUT!!!

Neither the software (Sonic Studio Pro) that controls the card nor the Dolby Home Theatre works any more and also I cannot record properly using cool edit pro, it sounds like I am recording off an old tape deck and mono mike. Now I am all for nostalgia but if I want that sound I will download a filter lol.

All this worked prior to the updates.

So please, please, please can anyone help ?

I cant find updates for the Dolby software (which I am pretty sure is why Sonic Studio wont work) anywhere, their site simply instructs me to head on over to Asus site (which I did) to DL the latest drivers, which they have but with no Dolby nor Sonic Studio. The thing is this.

Without the software the sound card sounds rubbish lol, no E.Q, no bass boost, no voice clarity, no surround sound, no nothing except the volume, the volume still works but that is it...
I could go on, but seriously without the Sonic Studio and Dolby (or other software, which I don't yet know about, so if anyone knows please also let me know.) the card quite simply cannot work.

The software is needed to control it, so I would have thought it was pretty integral and I cant believe that Asus didn't release it with the updated drivers. Hmmmph...

But if anyone knows a work around or of any way to get it all working again all suggestions welcome

Cheers

Aeon

Solution
Have you tried a system restore prior to the point when the issue cropped up i.e prior to the update? Hopefully that should reinstate your sound cards abilities though I'd suggest if things get worse to uninstall and reinstall your soundcards drivers. Also disable the onboard Realtek audio chip in your BIOS so it doesn't conflict with your other audio devices such as your GPU and the ROG soundcard.

On the other hand make sure your BIOS and related drivers are also up to date. Look here for the latest BIOS if you haven't updated it.

Lutfij

Titan
Have you tried a system restore prior to the point when the issue cropped up i.e prior to the update? Hopefully that should reinstate your sound cards abilities though I'd suggest if things get worse to uninstall and reinstall your soundcards drivers. Also disable the onboard Realtek audio chip in your BIOS so it doesn't conflict with your other audio devices such as your GPU and the ROG soundcard.

On the other hand make sure your BIOS and related drivers are also up to date. Look here for the latest BIOS if you haven't updated it.

Solution