ASUS PA248Q Dead Pixel or Stuck Pixel? Confused.

lordhans

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
I have a IPS ASUS PA248Q and there is an errant pixel. It is constantly white-ish (but not super bright) color and appears on all RGB colors tests I've done using internet applications. I read that dead pixels are usually black so I'm hoping it's not dead, but I'm not sure. The lighter the background the more apparent the pixel is. The darker the background the less obvious it is. On a completely black background it is not observable at all. Any ideas? Thanks.

Solution
No problem. You may have just gotten unlucky; most manufacturers require a good amount of pixels to fail before they do anything. I'd try contacting them if its particularly annoying, but double check what their policy is before sending them anything to avoid them charging you unnecessary service fees.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Could be a stuck pixel. There are various kinds of pixel defects. What is formally called a "dead pixel" in indeed black, but a pixel that is brighter than usual can also be a defect. There's also the possibility of some debris being stuck between the panels.

One thing you can try to do, although it's somewhat risky, is to apply some pressure on the stuck pixel. Sometimes this is enough to get them to unstick. It may rarely make the issue worse, though, specially if you add too much pressure.

Other than that, if the monitor is new you can try to check what kind of warranty the manufacturer has to see if they will replace it. However, most manufacturers require a minimum number of stuck pixels before they will offer any warranty, so you may not be able to get anything from them.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
No problem. You may have just gotten unlucky; most manufacturers require a good amount of pixels to fail before they do anything. I'd try contacting them if its particularly annoying, but double check what their policy is before sending them anything to avoid them charging you unnecessary service fees.

Solution