PC completely freezes during gameplay, sometimes other tasking (very rare though)

Jerbele189

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015
My PC completely freezes and requires a hard reboot everytime I play games. It's kind of upsetting because I rather play on the desktop then my labtop for a better experience. I made sure my drivers were up to date, updated the BIOS, cleaned trash from my drives, and monitored my PC during gameplay. Temperatures would never exceed 43 degrees celsius on my CPU and 50 degrees celsius on my gpu. All hardware is getting the correct voltage and power needed. RAM seems to be working properly. I believe its just the operating system with buggy Windows 10, but something tells me I shouldn't just leave out the hardware. Any ideas?

My Computer Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-9590 8-Core Vishera Black Edition 5.0ghz
CPU Heatsink: CoolerMaster V8 GTS
GPU: EVGA GTX980Ti SC+ Edition 6GB DDR5
Memory: Corsair 16gb 2133mhz RAM
Storage: 1x 500gb Samsung 850 EVO (OS) and 1x 1TB Seagate 7200rpm HHD (Steam and Origin)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 GS 80 PLUS Gold

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by running Windows Update and install all updates available.
- Next is to do a clean install of the graphics card driver following this guide from the link below.
- http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html
- Once done make sure that you have the latest BIOS version as well (Latest BIOS version is 2501).
- http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM3+/M5A99FX_PRO_R20/M5A99FX-PRO-R20-ASUS-2501.zip

Hopefully this will help. :)

Jerbele189

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015

I will try it out here in a bit, I'll let you know if it worked or not. Thanks for your idea!

Jerbele189

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015

Lasted longer than usual. Normally its about an 30 minutes on Rust before it goes frozen, this time it lasted an hour. But its still freezing.

BlackHawkBurns

Honorable
Jan 12, 2016

I had the same problem right when I got windows 10.
I resolved it by doing a few things.
First I used driver booster 3 to check for any outdated drivers and updated them.
Updated to the latest windows 10 home version using Windows Update setting (Check for updates button).
Ran cmd as administrator.
Ran the command Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Then sfc /scannow