Hi i just got a brand new laptop and ssd and I need help installing windows 10 on the ssd.

Deathly1

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
Hello forum members,
I already installed the windows 10 ISO on my usb stick and have it ready to go. My main concern right now is that Windows 10 is already pre-installed on the HDD, and I'm wondering if it will cause any problems when I install Windows on my new SSD (like conflicting OS's). My plan is to remove the HDD and install Windows 10 on my SSD. After that I will replace the HDD and hope my system will work with OS's on both of them?
Heres my laptop model: Acer Aspire E5-573G 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop (Intel Core i5 5200U, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce 940M 2GB, Windows 10 Home)

*I have purchased a caddy for the SSD already and I have a second 4gb stick of memory ready to be installed to enable dual channel memory*

As a second question, I'm wondering if RAM from 2 different brands are compatible. The laptop I have now is running Samsung ram and I purchased Kingston Ram since it was cheaper. Will this cause any problems?
Ram: Kingston Technology 4GB 1600MHz DDR3L PC3-12800 1.35V Non-ECC CL11 SODIMM Intel Laptop Memory KVR16LS11/4.

Thank you all for your help and lets get this new laptop running bloatware free and upgraded up!

Solution
You could uninstall that first, I suppose. The idea here is to not run into any licensing issues. Not sure where you got the ISO from, but it's been my experience that Microsoft doesn't allow OEM product keys when attempting to use their media creation tool (this may have changed, I don't know).

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
You should attempt to clone your current OS installation over to the SSD rather than trying to install the OS fresh. This saves you from having to reinstall any updates/drivers, etc...

Clone your HDD to your SSD. Format the HDD and call it a day.

As for the RAM, it's anyone's guess. It may work, it may not.

-Wolf sends

Deathly1

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
But wont I clone whatever bloatware comes pre installed on the HDD?

Wolfshadw

Titan
You could uninstall that first, I suppose. The idea here is to not run into any licensing issues. Not sure where you got the ISO from, but it's been my experience that Microsoft doesn't allow OEM product keys when attempting to use their media creation tool (this may have changed, I don't know).

-Wolf sends

Solution

Deathly1

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
I did some research and apparently the OS is embedded into the Motherboard so I dont think I will have any licencing issues. I downloaded the ISO from the Microsoft website nothing illegal haha.