Using a monitor vs a tv

audaciousgoat

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014
I'm currently using a BenQ GL2760H monitor. I had a friend ask to buy mine for the same price I bought it for ($170) and I found this Vizio TV. This TV has a faster refresh rate, and I would like a bigger monitor. Is there any downsides to upgrading? Or a better deal I can get?
I'm running a desktop with an i5-4690k with a GTX 960 if it makes any difference.

Solution
No, it doesn't have a faster refresh rate. What it's doing to achieve that is interpolating frames. There are TV's with native refresh rates of up to 480 Hz, but they died, today in the market the highest end are 240 Hz native. However, the input from an external device is still going to limit it to accept up to 60 Hz, and while there's interpolation. If you watch a blu-ray for instance, it'll just repeat the frames 10 times to get rid of telecine caused by 60 Hz TV's and monitors, so if you actually want to be able to see the extra frames above 60 FPS, and not just benefit from the faster pixel times which is only half the advantage, a monitor is for you. That monitor you listed doesn't even come remotely close to the picture quality...
No, it doesn't have a faster refresh rate. What it's doing to achieve that is interpolating frames. There are TV's with native refresh rates of up to 480 Hz, but they died, today in the market the highest end are 240 Hz native. However, the input from an external device is still going to limit it to accept up to 60 Hz, and while there's interpolation. If you watch a blu-ray for instance, it'll just repeat the frames 10 times to get rid of telecine caused by 60 Hz TV's and monitors, so if you actually want to be able to see the extra frames above 60 FPS, and not just benefit from the faster pixel times which is only half the advantage, a monitor is for you. That monitor you listed doesn't even come remotely close to the picture quality of that Vizio TV, you're much better off with that TV picture quality wise.

Solution

audaciousgoat

Reputable
Oct 27, 2014

Thanks for the advice. Can you explain what you mean about the refresh rate? I know some TV's claim up to 480hz because they repeated frames or count 60hz in 4 different squares on the screen. Is this one doing the same thing with 120hz? My gpu can run more than 60fps so I don't see a problem with the external device not outputting enough.

If they claim it's 480 Hz, it's definitely interpolation, manufacturers rarely list the real refresh rate. If they claim 480 Hz, the real refresh rate is typically half that, so 240 Hz. Repeating frames isn't interpolation. Most TV't can't display more than 60 FPS, where as a monitor can if you overclock it or if you buy a high refresh rate monitor.