Windows 10 using waaay too much memory

Scorpio3002

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015
Hoping I can get some help: I installed windows 10 a few days ago, and starting that night, I've been experiencing memory problems, namely that the memory usage will randomly skyrocket for no apparent reason. One of four things will happen: I'll either receive a message saying I need to close programs, programs will automatically close themselves (namely firefox), the whole system will go to an unresponsive black screen with the cursor still visible, or the computer will automatically restart. What scares me is I have 16 gigs of RAM, and the most cpu-intense thing I've been doing during these crashes is watching Youtube videos. I've tried to keep an eye on it with task manager's performance tab, and while the memory rises and falls, it tends to steadily rise over time. While I've been typing this, the computer has been running for about 35 minutes, and reached up to 8.7 gigs before falling back down to 3.2, and is now back up to 8.2, for no apparent reason (I am currently running 9 tabs in Firefox, task manager, and one file explorer window, and that's. about. it.).

Any ideas what's going on?

System Specs:

Processor: AMD FX 9590
Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX pro r2.0
Liquid Cooler: XSPC Raystorm 850 240mm radiator.
Graphics Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 970
SSD: 120G Samsung Evo 850 (boot), also a Transcend 256G MLC SATA III
HDD: Western Digital 2TB
Power Supply: Thermaltake 1050W 80plus platinum
Ram: 16GB Avexir DDR3 1600
Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO

Scorpio3002

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015

I'm not so sure that I am having the same issue. That thread claimed that task manager was giving them a different memory use percentage was higher than actual megabytes being used.They claimed that they were only using 1,130MB, while I was looking at task manager and it was telling me I was using over 8 gigs (sometimes more, hence programs closing themselves). Unless they were looking somewhere other than task manager for the actual megabyte reading, it looks like a different problem to me.