windows 10 dell inspiron won't turn completely off

soufior

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015
i have a dell inspiron and when i turn it off,even though everything looks like just fine,it doesn't turn completely off.it keeps giving power to connected devices and i cant start the system if i dont force shutdown first.i don't remember if the problem started after i upgraded to windows 10 and i like windows 10 so i don't wanna blame it on them if i'm not 100% sure.sometimes and i'm not sure what changes these specific times,it turns off normally.sometimes it happens after a windows update,but i'm fully up to date and the problem keeps coming back.
thanks for taking the time to read this

Enthusiast Builder

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
What do you mean "when you turn it off" - not being flippant; are you 1) in Windows, telling it to power down? or 2) are you pressing and holding power button on case?

It sounds like you can turn the PSU off if you hold the power button on the case down?

Sounds like a software issue...not a problem with your motherboard (otherwise, pressing and holding case button shouldn't fix it...).

Did you make sure Windows 10's power management is configured correctly? Maybe it thinks you're a desktop or something? Would try going to control panel, searching for "power", and then looking at power management settings and making sure it makes sense...

soufior

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015

it shuts down,but not completely.it still keeps getting power and feeding it to usb devices.i can charge my phone while it is off or if it is on battery the battery gets depleted.everything shows (externally at least) that it is off.no sound,no leds,nothing.the only way to fix it is holding the power the button after it turned off.

soufior

Reputable
Mar 31, 2015

i'm in windows and i'm telling the system to shut down.specifically i press alt+f4 and i choose shut down.that's how i'm doing it.it shut s down and keeps getting power.so it doesnt boot again untill i hold down the power button to turn it off completely.it's ok with system restart though.i was almost sure it wasn't a hardware problem because the laptop is an almost new dell and i trust the company and the almost new thing.im gonna check the power management settings and i'll be back.

ok.i restored every power plan settings to factory but didn't fix the problem.dont know if that's what you meant though. "sfc /scannow" fixed my problem but every time it gets fixed it's only temporary and if this time it is temporary again,i can't use the cmd every time it happens.it takes a bit long.so if you have any other suggestions im up to hear them