HELP! Windows !0 Latest Update Deleted Everything!

krosenthal121

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
So Windows 10 automatically updated (the most recent update of 2016). It scheduled a restart and restarted later on. After the restart I go to play a game on Steam, all my games are gone. My EA Origins account shortcut and the program itself is gone/not found anywhere. Basically everything in my HDD was deleted... I even checked the hard drive to see if it was true and only like 10GB were used up out of 1TB. My SSD was fine. I did a system image restore and and everything was back and then it automatically updated Windows 10 again and did the same thing. What do I do? I don't want to redownload almost 600GB again knowing this could happen in any of the upcoming Windows 10 Update.

Seamz

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Sounds like corrupted files to me. Restore the image. Copy the files to an external and the erase and copy them back after the update. Time consuming, but it will be way faster than troubleshooting microsoft nonsense.

I just finished up a 100GB backup yesterday. What version of Win 10 are you currently on? Open a command prompt, and it'll be the first line displayed. They've still got me on 10.0.10240, but the latest will supposedly fix a very specific issue I have, so I've been getting ready to force it or possibly clean install.

Seamz is likely right. I remember WinXP Service Pack updates clearing out everything in all of the user accounts before. It stinks but it happens.

krosenthal121

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

So I can literally copy everything and paste it back without having user control issues?