Multi-purpose PC - i5 6600k vs i7 4790k

Kwik111

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016
Hi everybody,

I'm buying new PC (in general for gaming purposes) and I'm a little bit confused.

I can afford either PC based on i7 4790k or i5 6600k. It will be combined with GTX970, 16GB memory (+monitor with native resolution 1920x1080). [my budget is: ~1140$]

But here comes the confusion. With this new PC I would like to try recording and editing game-plays for YT and also I would like to try streaming.

Tests I have seen indicates that 6600k is generally better for gaming while 4790k for applications that benefit from more cores.

My question is: what can I do with either of this setups and how big differences will I experience using them in aforementioned purposes [gaming / recording and edition / streaming]?

As I see it there are following pros and cons for each solution:

I5 6600k:
Pros:
- new platform
- ddr4
- as far as I know LGA 1151 will be fine also for Kaby Lake
- stronger cores (in terms of Mhz)
- cheaper solution
Cons:
- less threads than i7 4790k and Cache memory
- 'bendgate' issue (CPU bending under cooler pressure)

I7 4970k:
Pros:
- more threads
- there is no 'bending' problem
- more cache memory
Cons:
- less powerful cores
- more expensive solution
- overheating issue (and IHS problem connected with it)
- older platform
- ddr3

I would be grateful for your advises and solutions :)

Kwik111

PS. Streamers I watch seems to be using something like this: http://gamerzone.avermedia.com/game_capture/live_gamer_hd In what way this device would facilitate the recording/streaming?

RabidApocalypse

Reputable
Apr 6, 2015
For gaming, editing, and streaming, get the i7 4790k. I have the same CPU. Streaming and editing is a breeze. While recording/streaming in 1080p 60 FPS (for me) no noticeable performance dip at all. Because the i7 has hyper threading, it will do better for streaming and editing.

XCalinX

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
I would go for the 4790k. I'm not a fan of these i5s. The 4790k will get like 2 less FPS in games but will destroy the i5 in rendering

Kwik111

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016
Thank you for your opinions :)

The point is I'm not sure if I will like recording/editing/streaming or if I will be any good at it. So I came up with an idea that maybe I should take i5 6600k to check if I like it and if I do change it for i7 Kaby Lake when released (since socket will be the same and I will save some money by not buying i7 now [~110$]). That is why I asked how big difference will it be between i7 4790 and i5 6600k. In instance: will it be possible to stream with 6600k something like BF4, Diablo 3, Rainbow Six: Siege? What is the difference in rendering time for 1080p?

The other thing I'm concerned about is this overheating issue connected with 4790k and bending issue connected with 6600k and how to deal with them successfully.

Last but not least, this thing http://gamerzone.avermedia.com/game_capture/live_gamer_hd and its role. Will I be able to record videos properly with 6600k only or do I need to have this device?

The i7 4790k will still be viable even with Kaby Lake releasing. As long as you have a decent cooler on the 4790k, you shouldn't have any issues. As long as you're doing PC Gaming, there are free programs such as OBS, which I personally use to record.

XCalinX

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013

If he doesn't overclock even the stock cooler will be fine

Kwik111

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016

Actually I did want to overclock but this Xeon made me think about non-OC option. Considering my budget I can afford i7 6700 (non-K). It is interesting option because it will cost me the same as i7 4790k option.

As I see it, there are few pros of this option:

- lower energy consumption → no need for strong cooler → no risk of bending CPU.
- it has more cache memory than i5 6600k and 4 additional threads.

In terms of efficiency it seems to be as good as i7 4790k (even after 4790k being OC). I can't find comparison between 6700 and 6600k (in gaming).

Obviously another good thing is that 6700 is newer platform.

What do you think?

From a gaming perspective, overclocking yields little to no benefit from my experience. The only time it will help is when the CPU becomes a bottleneck, and with an i7 or Xeon, you're highly unlikely to find yourself in this situation. From a productivity perspective (such as video editing) overclocking can be very beneficial, but at the end of the day, an overclocked CPU will simply get the job done faster than a non-overclocked one.

Whilst it's good to be on the latest socket, it's by no means necessary, and a 4790K will likely offer all the performance you need for years. Had you been looking at an i3 rather than an i7, then I would have recommended being on the latest socket.

If you're concerned about efficiency then you should avoid overclocking completely and buy the Xeon. However, if it were me and my money, I'd take the 4790K on the basis that it will offer sterling performance for years and has the option to be overclocked.

Kwik111

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016
Thank you for you answers.

Considering 4790k is there a solution for this IHS that doesn't result in its removal? Is it a big issue? What cooling would be good?

How much worse from 4790k would Xeon be in gaming? Is it comparable to 4790k in editing/recording performance?

For gaming, I'd expect an indistinguishable difference between the Xeon and the i7, but the i7 will certainly have the upper-hand when it comes to video editing and rendering, on account of its faster clock speed. How much of an upper-hand depends on the quality and length of the video, so it's impossible to put a figure on it.

I wouldn't let the overheating issue put you off. The forum posts that people have been creating are over a year old and I've not seen anyone here mention it recently. If you do happen to get a bad one, then simply RMA/RGA it.

In regards to which cooler to buy, well, a 212 EVO offers a good balance of price and performance, but the 4790K really deserves something better. A Noctua NH-D15, CM V8 GTS and Dark Rock Pro 3 are all good choices.