Upgraded from 7 Ult to Windows 10, question about the product key.

kjackey

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016
Greetings,

Before I start, I believe the answer to my question is: Yes, I'd be breaking the EULA

Disclaimer: I have always bought retailed versions of Windows and never upgraded and this upgrade is not the "typical" upgrade.

My intent:
I plan on running HyperV on my upgraded windows 10 pro (upgraded from my retail Windows 7 Ult)
My plan was to run a VM with the now "old" retail windows 7 ult product key. (Host still being the upgraded windows 10 pro).

The Question:

This was a "free" upgrade so would I be able to use both versions of windows? Or would I be breaking the EULA?

I am only trying to make sense of this. I am new IT student just trying to create my own lab environment with Linux and all the Window versions. So any advice would help.

All the best,
Kevin

Solution
You said it at the top, you ARE breaking EULA.

That said, why not just download the Embedded 7 (and 8, 2013, etc) from https://www.dreamspark.com/Student/Software-Catalog.aspx if you're a student? The license there is great because it's meant for exactly what you want to do (base machine must have a valid license, but the licenses are separate and can be used simultaneously in VM). Hell, you can get Server 2008, 2012, 2012R2, and pretty soon 2016 too.

Depending on your university they might offer free or cheap versions of the regular retail or EDU OS (my undergrad program had full retail licensed Windows 8 Pro for $25)
You said it at the top, you ARE breaking EULA.

That said, why not just download the Embedded 7 (and 8, 2013, etc) from https://www.dreamspark.com/Student/Software-Catalog.aspx if you're a student? The license there is great because it's meant for exactly what you want to do (base machine must have a valid license, but the licenses are separate and can be used simultaneously in VM). Hell, you can get Server 2008, 2012, 2012R2, and pretty soon 2016 too.

Depending on your university they might offer free or cheap versions of the regular retail or EDU OS (my undergrad program had full retail licensed Windows 8 Pro for $25)

Solution

Latest posts