A Eco Friendly low watts IPS monitor that's easy on eyes?

interstaller

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016
Hi, I'm looking for a specific type of monitor that fulfills the following needs:

1. Low power consumption ( around 14watt)
2. IPS technology (better view angle)
3. Is easy on the eyes.
4.size: between 20" -24"

So far I've looked at the Dell Ultrasharp - Power consumption chart
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm

It looks like the UltraSharp U2414H could be good, only using around 14 watt.

But it seems to have a bunch of issues: Especially transmitting with HDMI cable, and I will be using that with my NUC computer
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2oe2sf/discussion_builders_beware_overwhelming_evidence/

QUESTIONS
Any suggestions?
Does anyone know why some monitors consume more power than others? Does this cause eyes to dry out faster?

Cheap power meters don't tend to be very accurate, especially with non-resistive loads and low loads. Don't trust them.

Does anyone know why some monitors consume more power than others?
Size of the display, brightness the display is set to, efficiency of the panel (how much light it lets through), if it's got any kind of active dimming, the light source type, the light driver's efficiency, power brick efficiency, how efficient the driving electronics are, and just how old the design is in general. Loads of stuff. And that's before you consider non-LCD displays.

Does this cause eyes to dry out faster?
Brightness, maybe. Colour temperature probably does too but that doesn't really affect power consumption.

Remember you can adjust the brightness, which has the biggest impact on power consumption.

Is there a particular reason you're concerned about power consumption? It's likely to be less (possibly a lot less) than what you've got connected to it.

Easiness on the eyes is pretty hard to quantify. I think the general advice is to turn both the brightness and colour temperature down.

interstaller

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016

Hi and thank you for the reply,
The reasons I'm looking for a eco friendly screen are the following:

1. The monitor i have now consumes between 50-75Watt;: that's my HP LP2475w
2. I wan't to save some money in the long run, so if i can get one that only consumes 14Watt that would be good.
3. I'm trying to make small environmentally friendly changes, I know it might have a small impact but i like the idea.
4. For some unknown reason i often feel sick when looking into the screen i'm using now: I've tested out other screens and I don't feel the same sick feeling. I started using flux software, i turned down brightness and changed contrast some month ago, but I still can't look into this screen for Very long (more than an hour) without feeling this strange week feeling, kind of like catching a flu, I really have no idea why, but it's quite consistent, so i need to get somethign else. I've done everything, even changed text sizes (my eyes word perfectly, and i feel fine on other monitors).

I think i might get the UltraSharp U2414H It seems to be the only 24" ips that consumes so little power theese days.

You're not helping nature by buying a monitor, what is it made out of? Minority can't look at lights shining directly at them, you could be one of them. Are you uncomfortable at the cinema as well? A monitor should cause nothing but eye strain, the level of eye strain is subjective. If you get a headache, or feel really uncomofortable, visit the doctor.

interstaller

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016

Hi and thank you for the reply. I know, buying anything made of plastic is quite disastrous considering that 8 billion tons of plastic are dumped into the ocean on a yearly basis.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2015/02/150212-ocean-debris-plastic-garbage-patches-science/

I never feel unconfortable at the cinema, it's just this one computer screen.I often get stomach pains (feels like acid is burning through my stomach) when i sit for longer than an hour, Also i feel very drained and kind of disconnected from people (not feeling that smiling comes natural) after prolonged time in front of the computer, I know it sounds really weird, If i use a small laptop i don't experience the same symptoms, i can't really figure out what is wrong with me.