need a psu, ram, vga suggestion for 1080p gaming build with i5

Penchenk

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016
hello, this year i wil build my first gaming pc.
i have been wandering this forum for a months and decide to join this forum to get some thought from the expert for my build.

im on tight budget but i want a good gaming experience that's why i dont want to build everything with minimal budget. I decide not to buy all parts at once.
many thread that i read suggest people to go with the skylake build especially in this year, but i live in east asia country where everything is overprice and the price different between skylake and haswell is quite huge, not to mention that ddr4 too. so i decide to go with the haswell build

main build:
cpu = i5 4460
mobo = gigabyte g1 sniper b6
psu = Super Flower Silver Green 500W - SF-500R14SE
ram = corsair 2x4gb ddr3 1600 value set
monitor = old samsung 1280 x 1024
hdd = old seagate 250gb

final build:
ssd and more hdd sata3
r9 380x or pascal
1080p monitor
16 or 32gb ram (max out the mobo capability)

cpu - not plannig to overclock so i choose the cheapest i5 4th gen available.

mobo - in many thread people always suggest h97 chip over this b85 mobo. but im looking for mobo with M.2 slot so i can get a benefit from ssd that i will likely to get later on. i personally like the green led on this mobo and i find this cheaper than any h97 mobo with M.2 slot. not planning to SLI or xfire either so that 2nd pcie slot only working x4 doesnt bother me. is there any other reason to get h97 mobo over this?

monitor - that old resolution is bigger than 720p so is the i5 4460 is good enough to run everything smoothly? playing some flash games or other light games and watch 1080p video?

ram - i have the corsair 4gb ddr3 1600 value set and will use that stick. in other thread i see no one choose this as their gaming build. they use vengeance or that gskill ram, is there any significant difference in real life experience? should i change my ram to vengeance? or is it better to add more 2x4gb value so that i run 4x4gb ?

vga - right now im looking at HIS iCEQ 380x as it's cheaper than xfx 380x in my country. the gtx 960 is way overprice in here, let alone gtx 970 i can't afford it. but still i will be saving money and won't get it right now, maybe in 3 or 4 months later. hopefully that time the new pascal will come out.

psu - i read toms hardware psu tier list and find this super flower brand is better than corsair is that right? i still dont know what vga i will choose later on so im quite confuse with psu. sure alot people would choose the new pascal over 380x but if the price is not friendly and the performance gap with 380x is not that huge, i would stick with the amd. is it safer to choose the 600w psu? if that so, is it okay to run an overkill 600w psu with my current system for about 3-4 months until i get my vga? would i be paying more electricity bill even though my system is not using that much power yet?

i know with choosing haswell build i dont have any future upgrade, and im not planning to upgrade it either. my major upgrade would be that ssd and i7 (i doubt i will upgrade to i7, i5 is more than enough for gaming right?)

Beyond Names

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016
Sounds like nice build, don't know why you would need 32gb of ram though lol, especially with an i5, rather get 16gb of ram if you really need that much and spend the extra cash on a corsair psu, corsair is a much more reputable brand than super flower plus most of their powersupplies come with 3 year warranties, you really don't need 600w btw, rather save some cash and get a 500w, but overall sounds like a solid build.