Lenovo Ideapad Y700-15 Touch Gaming Laptop First Look

Status
Not open for further replies.

darcotech

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004
Hi
I already saw this laptop in a shop. It seems that it has good price and fair enough good hardware.

I would like to use Unreal UDK platform and I am interested how this could replace my Intel i5-2500K and XFX Radeon 7950 DD 3Gb desktop system.
What do you think?
Thanks

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Hi
I already saw this laptop in a shop. It seems that it has good price and fair enough good hardware.

I would like to use Unreal UDK platform and I am interested how this could replace my Intel i5-2500K and XFX Radeon 7950 DD 3Gb desktop system.
What do you think?
Thanks

I recently went for a system with a 2500K (overclocked to 4.4Ghz) and 7970 to a Dell XPS 15 with the same CPU and GPU as this system. Expect a bit better CPU performance and slightly worse GPU performance.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
Santa brought my son the 17" version for Xmas and he loves it. I went in and pulled the M.2 and SATA HDD and installed a PCIe M.2 and large capacity SATA drive. I was surprised to see both PCIe-based M.2 and SATA 6Gbps in a system sold at this price.

What won me over is the overall value. With a 1920x1080 screen it doesn't need a lot of GPU power so the 960 was more than enough to play the latest games. We opted to omit the touch screen which is an option for both the 15" and 17". I've always taught the kids to never touch the screen and I don't see a reason to teach them anything different now.

realpetrolium

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I hate how all gaming peripherals and systems have "aggressive" edges and flashing lights.

We're not all teenage boys fawning over Lara Croft.

racecar56

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Needs a track point! That device is the main reason to buy a thinkpad! Having an analog joystick built into the device is fantastic!
It's not a ThinkPad, but owning a ThinkPad myself, I absolutely agree.

I hate how all "gaming" peripherals and systems have "aggressive" edges and flashing lights.

We're not all teenage boys fawning over Lara Croft.
I agree so much! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. I despise that "Gaming" look as well, but at least this laptop isn't the most obnoxious. See, I can't even take the word "Gaming" seriously anymore, I have to put it in quotation marks. It's such a stupid marketing word.

darcotech

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004
@Quixit
Thanks for your info.
I can have this laptop with i7-4720HQ, 16Gb, 256SSD and QHD IPS screen for around 1100USD. You think higher resolution screen is worth 90USD diffrence?
I am not big gamer, for me all maxed out is not mandatory, fluidity is much more important. And of course, will play in 1080p not in QHD (3840x2160 pixels).

Status
Not open for further replies.