Upgraded CPU, Windows 10 not booting up

Masonl10

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016
Hey all! I recently upgraded my CPU to an intel i5-3550 (LGA 1155). After doing so I began experiencing several issues. At first, my display was just straight up not working, the next day I opened my case up and fiddled around with it and the display began to work and I was able to actually log on and test out my new CPU on a few games I had previously installed (It was awesome), however, after I shut it down I am experiencing a new issue. Windows 10 will not boot and I am just seeing a black screen after it does the initial boot process before getting to a log in screen. I will post my specs down below. I'm afraid you guys are my last hope at solving this problem :(

Specs:
CPU: intel core i5-3550
Motherboard: MSi H61M-P31 (gen 3)
GPU: XFX R7770 core edition

Any additional information needed I will do my best to provide. Thank you!

Solution
Then I would send it back. If it's compatible and it's the only thing you replaced, then something is wrong with it (DOA). I would get an RMA going and get it replaced with another one.

thejackal85

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
First thing I would look into is compatibility. Is your board compatible with a chip like that? Did you get the same socket size and everything? Is display is having trouble working, it sounds like the chip is incompatible or has issues of its own.