Reinstalling windows 10 will i lose my files

Ilikemypc

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
Hi i was stuck in the automatic repair loop or whatever and now im forced to reinstall windows. Since i already have windows 10 and if i install through a usb will i lose my files or anything?
Keep in mind my computer is not in a bootable state to windows. I have tried everything and safe mode but unfortunately can not get into windows to save files or anything
Thanks in the meantime

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
The installer should ask you... It then makes a directory called WINDOWS.OLD and puts your old Windows, Program Files, Program Files (x86), and Users directories in there (plus a few hidden system directories and files.) You should be okay.

Is the disk still readable, I assume?

If you install again and do not delete partitions or format the disk it should push all old files into windows.old all of your files should be in there. Do you have an extra hard drive? if so I would recommend installing windows on the other HDD and then get all of your files off the original HDD. you can then choose to either leave it as is or reinstall windows again on the original HDD. But depending on what caused your original HDD issue I would be concerned that the HDD is failing.

Ilikemypc

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015

its in a usb ive tried to repair things with it but im scared to install it