Computer freezing and locking every few days

BergerSa

Reputable
May 30, 2014
Hello all, and thanks in advance for any help you can give. I recently build a new gaming desktop and it's been working smoothly until about a month ago. It is now having an issue where, during a game, the computer will fully freeze and lock down, forcing me to hold down the case power button and reboot. I am completely unsure as to what's causing this. It happens every few days.

Relevant info:
Checked Event Viewer, no repeat messages other than "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." and "The previous system shutdown at <Time> on <Date> was unexpected." This last message actually is false. Every time the freeze happens, there is a reported system shutdown in event viewer for a time ~30 minutes earlier, but that shutdown never happened.

All drivers for MSI Motherboard have been downloaded and are up to date, and Graphics Card drivers are up-to-date

Specs:
Windows 10 Home
i5-6600k @ 3.5 GHz
Geforce GTX 980 Ti
16 Gb RAM
Motherboard Z170 KRAIT GAMING (MS-7984)

Solution
Try this: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms854882.aspx

It's a simple fix, 99% related to memory.

Also, since you have Nvidia:

Nvidia does not play well with Win 10.

Get the latest drivers from Nvidia, if that doesn't work, reinstall the driver you had before on whatever OS you had.

If that still doesn't fix it, go to Nvidia and start going backwards down the revision list and try each one until you find one that works.

Which ever one you finally find that works, do a clean install of it.

Some say the Geforce Experience app works OK.

Bill

Lutfij

Titan
Have you noticed when the freezes take place? Have you been able to replicate it by taxing your system, idling or just surfing the web? Is your BIOS also up to date? Try re-installing, and/or reverting in the process, your graphics card drivers following this guide.

You can also rule out your ram kit by running memtest86 for 10 passes. If any errors do come up then they are faulty and deem an RMA. You can also rule out your OS by performing a system restore if the issue came after a mandatory windows update or a repair install. By any chance is this an installation of Windows 10 via the free upgrade and did you swap any component out/replaced it?

BergerSa

Reputable
May 30, 2014

The freezes seem to have no rhyme or reason. I cannot intentionally replicate. They will happen anywhere from once every day to once every 30 minutes. I will run a memtest ASAP. Most info points to RAM issues. I was playing a game and it told me I ran out of memory, causing a crash. I received an UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRADE BSoD as well as a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA BSoD. The issues began appearing shortly after I built the computer with fresh windows copy. When the freeze/crash occurs, all peripherals shut off, the audio turns into a loud buzzing, and the computer requires a long hold of the power button to shut down.

W Fallon

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Try this: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms854882.aspx

It's a simple fix, 99% related to memory.

Also, since you have Nvidia:

Nvidia does not play well with Win 10.

Get the latest drivers from Nvidia, if that doesn't work, reinstall the driver you had before on whatever OS you had.

If that still doesn't fix it, go to Nvidia and start going backwards down the revision list and try each one until you find one that works.

Which ever one you finally find that works, do a clean install of it.

Some say the Geforce Experience app works OK.

Bill

Solution