Monitors with HDR and wide colour gamut?

DELTAprime

Reputable
Feb 13, 2015
I'm looking at getting both a UHD TV and a new monitor this year. I am wondering now that we finally have UHD TVs with HDR and wide colour gamut how long is it going to take for that technology to show up in monitors, preferably G-sync monitors?

Solution
There's a benefit for TV's because upcoming content will support this, and a few online streamers like Netflix somewhat support this too. But HDR won't make everything look better. Games are done in Rec709 and not Rec2020. I can't answer that question for you, because currently HDR is next to useless. When the manufacturers show the same content over and over, you know there's a huge lack of content.

And I must add that the differences you see between a "Standard" and "HDR" TV are extremely inaccurate. You can't trust these big companies, just look at what LG did THIS YEAR when comparing their OLED TV. Guess what panel type they compared their OLED to? They compared it to IPS. Trust me, by next year, VA LCD's will already beat an...
There's a benefit for TV's because upcoming content will support this, and a few online streamers like Netflix somewhat support this too. But HDR won't make everything look better. Games are done in Rec709 and not Rec2020. I can't answer that question for you, because currently HDR is next to useless. When the manufacturers show the same content over and over, you know there's a huge lack of content.

And I must add that the differences you see between a "Standard" and "HDR" TV are extremely inaccurate. You can't trust these big companies, just look at what LG did THIS YEAR when comparing their OLED TV. Guess what panel type they compared their OLED to? They compared it to IPS. Trust me, by next year, VA LCD's will already beat an OLED's price to performance, as well as litterally no difference in contrast. Display technology as a whole, is something you shouldn't just jump on, because you play BETA tester for the companies, there are multiple different HDR standards, it won't stop...

Solution

Xanoxis

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016

Games are done in 10 bpc. They just render it in pipeline to sdr, because there was really no need for it to be hdr. But Alien Isolation already has option for HDR image! On AMD AMA on reddit AMD said that they are going to support devs in making more HDR content before HDR hits the PC market in Q2-3 2016.