Mysterious Sudden Second Monitor Problem

TempUser111

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016
I have a weird, elaborate problem, so I'm sorry if the description is long-winded. Before I begin, this issue started happening suddenly and my setup has been working for months now.

My setup consists of an MSI R9 380 video card with1x DVI-I and 1x DVI-D ports. I have two monitors, an HP 2009 Wide as my primary connected to the DVI-D port, and a Dell E172FP as my secondary using a VGA-to-DVI-I converter connected into the DVI-I slot. Again, this setup was working for months now, and the problem is new and sudden.

Everything was fine, I locked my computer to leave, came back minutes later, and my primary monitor was in sleep mode with my secondary monitor acting as the new primary. I messed around a bit and came to these conclusions:

-Both cables are fine
-Both DVI ports work fine
-Both monitors work fine if they're the only one plugged in
-The VGA converter works fine
-I've tried reinstalling my graphics card drivers
-The problem only happens when both monitors are plugged in at the same time
-Unplugging one monitor re-enables the other
-While both monitors are plugged in, only the Dell monitor works and the HP monitor enters sleep mode
-While both are plugged in, under the resolution settings, this (image link) keeps on happening which prevents me from changing any settings. In case the link breaks, the settings keep detecting the HP monitor for a second before dropping it.

I'm at my wit's end and can't figure out what's causing this. Any help would be appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Solution
Just an update, I figured out the problem.

When I locked my computer, I must have slipped and pressed Windows + P instead of Windows + L to lock. For reference, Windows + P lets you switch into "Projector Only" mode, making it so your monitor turns off when you plug in a projector, I'm guessing. After literal hours of reinstalling drivers, managing and testing cables and monitors, and testing out my PSU, switching the display mode with Win + P to "Extend" fixed it.

TempUser111

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016
Just an update, I figured out the problem.

When I locked my computer, I must have slipped and pressed Windows + P instead of Windows + L to lock. For reference, Windows + P lets you switch into "Projector Only" mode, making it so your monitor turns off when you plug in a projector, I'm guessing. After literal hours of reinstalling drivers, managing and testing cables and monitors, and testing out my PSU, switching the display mode with Win + P to "Extend" fixed it.

Solution