Want a specific job....

FascinationBuilder

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016
This post is going to sound pathetic and low-life to some of you guys, but I'm going to ask it anyway. I live a couple of blocks away from a Micro-Center, and I think it would be awesome to work there. Does anybody work there? Do you like it, or is it at least tolerable?
I'd love to quit my customer service job that I've been at for 7 years, plus a ton more customer service experience, and some computer building experience.
So, what are they looking for when you interview there? Does anybody know any secret tricks that help you get an interview. It's a specific branch that I'd be applying for. (I don't even know if they're hiring, but I'd love to be surrounded by my hobby and learn about it as I'm working at something I'm really, really interested in.) Anyway, thanks for any advice. Before you respond, I am a grown-up and I've been working for a very long time. Would also appreciate any comments from employees from there or friends of. Thanks again.

Ralston18

Titan
No. Your question is not pathetic and low life.

It is simply the result of the normal uncertainty that we all have to deal with nowadays.

There are no real tricks or gimmicks anymore. It is hard, tedious, and there are always risks.....

Face it head on. Go to the store and speak with the manager. Ask, find out.

You may or may not get an answer. Depends on the caliber of the manager. But in all fairness he or she may be having a bad day. Lots of pressure on store managers anywhere.

That said, do a bit of research beforehand. Look for job opportunities at Micro-center and find a position you feel you can do. Get your resume, job history, etc. all in order and apply. Show that you have the necessary skills required for the position.

Yes the location is convenient for you but they will not (and I know I would not) hire you for that. What I would hire you for is a strong sense that you can do the job, learn fast, be reliable, be honest, be part of the team, not hassle customers, do more than your share, and not hassle me as a manager.

The worst that can happen is an immediate no. However a position could open up at any time. Perhaps, the manager could leave for any number of reasons and be replaced. You could try again.

You have nothing to lose by going in and asking. The results may not be immediate and you may need to go back to "follow-up". Do not make a nuisance of yourself but continue to show interest and demonstrate that interest by learning things about Micro-center's philosophy, mission statement, etc. And then, be ready to take the risk and jump for it if offered a position.

However, before all that make sure you are willing to continue to deal with "customers". I sense some burnout there but I also sense the hope that a new environment will "make that better". And it could.

Yes you are an adult and have been working a long time. That is a good thing. But new environments and new challenges force us to change. Be sure that you are willing to take the risks and opportunities involved with making a change.