Is an anti-static chair mat necessary or beneficial?

moonraker0

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016
I plan to purchase a floor mat for my computer chair to roll on instead of having it directly on the carpet soon. I see that a lot of them are advertised as anti-static, such as this one. These products' descriptions usually claim that having such an anti-static floor mat under your computer chair will protect your computer from damage caused by electro-static discharge. I'm pretty familiar with the hazards of static electricity to computers, but I'd never heard of static damage caused by the user sitting on the chair. I thought this sort of damage was only a concern when one is working on the inside of a computer, and that it wouldn't affect the computer from the outside. It seems strange that they act as if static electricity could affect my computer when I'm sitting at the desk; does it supposedly go though the keyboard or something? If this could actually harm my computer, it's news to me, but I can't find any information on the necessity of these chair mats except advertisements for them. Would someone explain how this is necessary or unnecessary?

Unless you run exposed components, the case and PSU's ground connection will prevent 100% of discharge damage (that won't kill you as well). If you have static issues, just place your palm on your desk for a few seconds before touching the computer.

Ralston18

Titan
In full agreement with basroil....

However, if you are in a colder, dryer environment static can be an inherent, constant problem. Or carpeting that "charges you up" while simply walking on it.....

Not uncommon to have computers zapped with static via the keyboard or while plugging in a USB cable/device. Usually just a reboot recovers.

(Our dog once sniffed the front of the kid's computer and got a good static shock discharge via one of the USB ports. Computer went down and dog never went near the computer again.....)

There are anti-static carpet sprays available but expensive. You can make your own mix using fabric softener - there are recipes online but test for staining beforehand.

Anyway save the money on the anti-static mat etc...

Basroil's solution is simple and straightforward - easy habit to develop. Just place your mouse, earphones, or whatever, on the computer case so you touch the case each time you sit down to work.

moonraker0

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016
Thanks for the replies; that makes sense. I'll just buy whatever chair mat I can find cheaply at a local store then.