HOW TO install win81 on a store bought win 10 laptop, for dual booting?

thesteelgeneral

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016
So yeah: how do I install windows 8.1 on a store bought lenovo g50-80 which already has windows 10, in order to dual boot both win81 and win10?
To be completely transparent the laptop does have a c:\windows.old folder which is about 18,100 MB or 18 gigs in size. This might be a win7 folder, i have no idea.

So. this is not going FROM windows 8.1 TO a dual boot with windows 10 but the REVERSE!

Solution

Hello, General:

This is a bit unusual as Windows Setup requires a GPT disk to install. I can only suggest you try the CMD utility in Windows 10 and use the diskpart feature to re-format your drive as outlined by this guide:

http://www.neowin.net/news/guide-how-to-install-windows-10-from-a-usb-drive

The guide talks about installing Win10 from a USB drive, but your situation is basically the same.

If the format table doesn't indicate 'gpt', then after Step 6, type convert gpt and Enter, then move on to Step 7. Hopefully Windows...

GreyCatz

Distinguished

Greetings, General!

I'm not sure I understand,
- you want to reverse or roll back a pre-installed Win10 licence to 8.1?
- and what other OS are you planning on using for dual boot?

Yours curiously,
GreyCatz.

GreyCatz

Distinguished

Hello, General:

Well, it shouldn't be that difficult then.

1) Create and format a new volume on your existing disk and install your Win8.1 licence, or
2) Connect a second internal disk and install your Win8.1 licence on it .

Either way, when booting the Windows UEFI will prompt you to choose which OS you want to use.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

GreyCatz

Distinguished

Hello, General:

This is a bit unusual as Windows Setup requires a GPT disk to install. I can only suggest you try the CMD utility in Windows 10 and use the diskpart feature to re-format your drive as outlined by this guide:

http://www.neowin.net/news/guide-how-to-install-windows-10-from-a-usb-drive

The guide talks about installing Win10 from a USB drive, but your situation is basically the same.

If the format table doesn't indicate 'gpt', then after Step 6, type convert gpt and Enter, then move on to Step 7. Hopefully Windows Setup will recognize your drive as GPT in this case.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

Update: If the problem persists, and the disk is in fact a GPT disk, then try to convert it to MBR by typing convert mbr instead.

Solution