IPS VS TN 60Hz

c2yCharlie

Honorable
Mar 27, 2014
Hey guys,

I have a Dell s2240l. It is a wonderful monitor for doing my regular stuff. However, I feel that it is not so smooth in gaming. I will be getting gtx 970 very soon so I want to know what should I do about it.

I dont have a huge budget so I am sticking with 24 inch 1080p. However do you think that if I get something like benq rl2455hm it will improve my smoothness. I would like to run games locked at 60hz so that makes things even more confusing.

My main problems are: jittery gameplay, judder and non smooth gameplay.

Also what happens if I take a TN panel. Do I get horrible colours when compared to IPS. Also, how are the viewing angles? Do you guys think that going TN from IPS will be worth it?
What are suggestions about it? Please note that I dont have any issues with input lag and I will change my monitor if it is absolutely worth it. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Normal 60hz monitors are only smooth in 59-60fps range the slight stutter comes from dropping below that fps range, screen tearing comes from going over it. The only way to ensure perfect smoothness at high/ultra settings with a 970/r9 390 is to buy a gsync/freesync monitor. Gsync are still more expensive and since amd released LFC with crimson drivers also have no advantage so i'd actually recommend an r9 390 and a 24" freesync monitor like http://aoc-europe.com/en/products/g2460pf for buttery smoothness even in future games. Ofcourse if u're set on a 970 i'm sure u can find a gsync monitor yourself. Good luck!

Gregsvn

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Normal 60hz monitors are only smooth in 59-60fps range the slight stutter comes from dropping below that fps range, screen tearing comes from going over it. The only way to ensure perfect smoothness at high/ultra settings with a 970/r9 390 is to buy a gsync/freesync monitor. Gsync are still more expensive and since amd released LFC with crimson drivers also have no advantage so i'd actually recommend an r9 390 and a 24" freesync monitor like http://aoc-europe.com/en/products/g2460pf for buttery smoothness even in future games. Ofcourse if u're set on a 970 i'm sure u can find a gsync monitor yourself. Good luck!

Solution

c2yCharlie

Honorable
Mar 27, 2014

i have a gtx 750 and i3 4130. Will be upgrading to gtx 970 and i5 4460.

Upgrade to the GTX970 first.
You may be surprised at how well your i3-4130 will do.

c2yCharlie

Honorable
Mar 27, 2014

Thank you for the decent and quick reply. However all I want to know is how much benefit will I get if go for a TN panel? Moreover how do you rate my current monitor for gaming?

Gregsvn

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
TN has a single advantage over IPS panels which is lower response time, 99% of people don't notice the difference in 5ms while everyone notices the much better color reproduction and viewing angles.