Best 24 inch 1080p 60hz monitor for gaming under $150?

BeastMode6

Honorable
Jul 4, 2015
Hi all,

I've been looking for a gaming monitor for some time now. I would like it to be 1080p, 60hz, at least 23 inches, and have VESA mounts. I would prefer IPS also.

Any good options for under $150?

Thank you!

BeastMode6

Honorable
Jul 4, 2015
Thanks for the suggestions. I need hdmi ports (sorry should've put that in my first post) so I think I'll go with HDD-Mod's suggestion. My only question is is that monitor IPS? I can't seem to find that information on amazon's website.

HDD-Mod

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015

It is IPS

BeastMode6

Honorable
Jul 4, 2015
I like SR-71s latest recommendation. What are your guy's opinions on IPS vs TN vs VA? Also, do you think I should just save up and get a more expensive 200-300 dollar monitor? Mind you I have an r9 290 with an fx 6350, and probably can't go past 1080p.

Thanks for all the help!

VA passed IPS years ago. You won't find a non professional IPS with better color uniformity and contrast than VA. The slightest amount of IPS glow and the colors in that area can't be accurate, reviewers measure so close that this isn't an issue. With real equipment, and not inaccurate toys, it's very much an issue. TN are starting to move up to 8 bit panels even in the lower end, but not there yet. IPS and VA both use 8 bit + dithering or true 10 bit panels. As far as color space is concerned, both VA and IPS can easily do 72% NTSC, you can't get any more accurate than that for the biggest color space standard in the world sRGB. aRGB on the other hand doesn't come cheap, and while you may believe all the hype surrounding it, next to no people use this standard. The professional industry are still using Rec709 and that only changes now that 4kUHD blu-rays are around the corner. The only reason to even consider an IPS today would be if you need the better viewing angles, which VA is slowly getting closer and closer. Next year VA is sure to take over the entire display industry, because contrast and color wise they're currently just a step behind OLED. The demonstrations LG used at this years CES where their own LG IPS panel with noticeable glow and bleed on the screen, that's how they demonstrate how great OLED is, the display market in a nutshell.

BeastMode6

Honorable
Jul 4, 2015
That's a real shame, it looks so good in the images.

What monitor would you recommend if I had a bigger budget (let's say up to $300). Has to be 1080p and 60hz since my pc is pretty mid range.

I wouldn't spend that much money on a monitor, it's nothing but a waste. The only reason to do that would be for a higher refresh rate, or features such as FreeSync/GSync/Lightboost etc. You won't gain in terms of picture quality when it comes to price to performance. It's not like a lower end monitor's yellows will be orange, so stick to low end unless you want the refresh or features.

Okay, let me break that up in two

"For the use of gaming, VA is not the greatest option due to generally higher response time in comparison to other panel types; this slower response causes more motion blur, effectively eliminating its deployment for fast-moving titles."

Here he says that VA's are too slow for gaming.

And

"but they also have the worst response times of the monitor technologies covered here."

VA is faster than IPS, the only exception are the AHVA monitors which sacrificed colors in order to meet the spec for the gaming monitors, such as the XB270HU. IPS is not AHVA, and it's wrong to say that it is. So many things are wrong and there are way too much confusion and wrong information floating around, that obviously reading an article isn't going to help you decide what to get, since it's completely inaccurate the quotes listed above. Honestly, the fact that what I say isn't an article or backed up by sources, I never take BS and always go with experience and facts and not opinions similar to those in articles where apparently the whole word VA means slow response times, what a bad joke.

This made me laugh

"IPS panels are especially useful for those not wanting to play too competitively, but want a beautiful/immersive visual experience. PLS and AHVA are similar enough to IPS to usually not be differentiated."

Honestly, do whatever you feel like buying OP, you won't find reliable information in an article it seems. Try a monitor in a store, and make sure it's in Theater/Movie/Cinema mode so that no weird store mode is on, then make up your mind and buy it.

BeastMode6

Honorable
Jul 4, 2015
Wow, I see what you mean by confusion and wrong information floating around. I just watched a linustechtips video on ips vs tn vs va and he sounded about as clueless as the guy in that article. All you have to do is look at the comments section to find a bunch of people arguing over ips and va and tn and it's just one big clusterf**k.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DzNc2fKuVnGU&ved=0ahUKEwjRxZHlzsHKAhUCkYMKHXvMChkQtwIIHjAB&usg=AFQjCNEsoXOiONzMu-uri7hPsDdvEMbGrg&sig2=qSHLOJX7luiq_S569tUy8Q

Whatever I end up going with will doubtless be better than my current display, which is a 13ish inch Dynex brand tv that is totally washed out (blacks almost look like grays).