Computer crashing due to Internet Connection Sharing

Roguebantha

Reputable
Jan 15, 2015
I've recently been having a very odd, but at least consistent, type of crash since I turned on Internet Connection Sharing to stream Wifi to an Ethernet port for my Xbox. I'll be doing quite normal things on my computer, and then I will try to start a program, and the blue wheel will spin around, and it's clear that Windows recognized that I clicked on the program to start, but the window will never come up. After awhile, I'll confusedly try and hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up the task manager, but the window won't actually come up. At this point, my start menu and cortana stop responding, and if I wait long enough, the computer will go to a black screen with nothing more than my mouse pointer. If I wait long enough from THAT point, I'll get:
"Failure to display security and shut down options. The logon process was unable to display security and logon options when CTRL+ALT+DELETE was pressed. If the operating system does not respond, press ESC or restart the computer by using the power switch."
From that point, the only solution is to reboot.
This will start happening very often on each restart until I run "netsh winsock reset", which seems to help for awhile, perhaps even a week, but eventually the problem shows back up.
This problem does NOT occur if I turn off Internet Connection Sharing.
The Event Viewer does indeed start registering errors when this crash starts to occur, but I have yet to find the root error in the event viewer. Online posts that have similar issues seem to suggest that perhaps it's an issue with the graphics drivers, in particular, having more than one monitor, or video output plugged in, but I only have one, and my drivers are the latest stable version.
And no, turning off ICS is NOT the solution. I want to, in a perfect world, be able to use ICS while still having a reliable computer.
Yes, I have upgraded all Wifi and Ethernet drivers to the latest version.
I would prefer NOT to reinstall Windows. I just did that not too long ago for another problem, so I doubt my OS is just corrupted.
Specs:
AMD FX-8350
Geforce GTX 970
16 GB RAM @ 1866 Mhz
Windows 10
Avast Virus Detection

Solution
First things first,
I would prefer NOT to reinstall Windows. I just did that not too long ago for another problem, so I doubt my OS is just corrupted.
What sort of a problem did you experience prior to this thread's creation?

You didn't include your motherboard into the specs list and you didn't state if your access to the internet is via a wired connection or wirelessly. That will reveal whether a BIOS update is available and/or if the drivers are the culprit. In defense of the users, Windows 10's conception is by far the best but it's execution has been a little less than pleasant. It may be a perfect platform but it'll yet need time to iron out. The OS could be corrupted over time via the automatic update path or even over time...

Lutfij

Titan
First things first,
What sort of a problem did you experience prior to this thread's creation?

You didn't include your motherboard into the specs list and you didn't state if your access to the internet is via a wired connection or wirelessly. That will reveal whether a BIOS update is available and/or if the drivers are the culprit. In defense of the users, Windows 10's conception is by far the best but it's execution has been a little less than pleasant. It may be a perfect platform but it'll yet need time to iron out. The OS could be corrupted over time via the automatic update path or even over time on it's own. You need to keep in mind that the automatic update process is not upon the users will but at Microsoft's discretion which you'd agreed upon prior to installing the OS. They also have access to your system to change settings without your permission. Nevertheless try and recreate your bootable USB installer to rule out your installer as corrupt and re-install your OS. You can also try a repair install to rid your OS of any corruption. Speaking of installs, is this installation anew or one availed through the free upgrade path?

Please also note that you should back up your critical content on an external storage device should something go wrong. IMHO, I think the process of running "netsh winsock reset" is your best bet if you don't want to go through all that hassle.

Solution