Temps are too hot with i7 4770K and Corsair H60 Cooler

RenegadeHD

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015
I recently purchased a Corsair H60 water cooler for my i7 4770k, I've noticed that my idle temps sit around 40C, but just last night when it was rather warm and I had just finished playing GTA V for 2 hours my temps weren't going below 60c at idle. My temps while running Intel Burn Test sit at around 80C.

- I have reapplied Arctic Silver Thermal paste 3 times now, nothing.

- I have reseated the cooling block several times, making sure the thermal paste was applied properly of course.

- I've used different fan connectors for the H60 fan and the cooler itself. The best temps (40 - 50 idle, 70 while playing games, and 80 - 100 while running burn test) was when I plugged the cooling block into the PSU using adapters.

- I've tried tightening and loosening the water block.

- I'm not running any overclock whatsoever, just a stock i7 4770K.

- My case has rather poor airflow, although, my cpu almost immediately goes to 80C plus when I start the burn test so I don't think that the airflow is the problem.

- While playing games I get around 60C, so I'm not really damaging anything, but the thing is, I render videos using Sony Vegas and that is almost as taxing as burn test and it can sometimes run for several hours.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Case airflow is just as important as the actual cooler. Chances are, you're liquid cooler is trying to cool down the fluid in the radiator by blowing already-hot air onto it, meaning it's trying to cool the water with hot air. You need to have cool air inside the case for these coolers to work properly.

Take the covers off of your case and see how that does.
If your temps get better, pay attention to case cooling.

Is your H60 radiator mounted to take in outside air? If so, your cpu will cool better, at the expense of hotter motherboard and graphics card.

Is your room unusually hot?
Normally, idle temperatures should be 10-15c. over ambient.

Possibly your cooler has lost fluid or is in some way deficient.

RenegadeHD

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015

I've taken both side panels off the case and temps are the same. Way too hot for idle.

RenegadeHD

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015

My room temperature is about 24C, my side panels removed don't make a difference, I might contact Corsair and see if I can get a replacement.