Strange Booting Issue on New PC

Austtnn

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread for this kind of question, but here it goes. I just recently got all new PC components EXCEPT for the hard drive and my SSDs, which I took out of my old PC. The new PC worked perfectly for about a week, and then all of a sudden I would start my PC, and right after the monitor showed the "Asus" motherboard screen, it would go to a black screen with only a blinking underscore in the top left corner with code "AE" on the motherboard. If I simply restarted the pc, it would then work fine and boot straight into windows 10. If I leave the PC off for a while and then try to turn it on again, I get the same black screen with the blinking underscore.

It gets weirder. If I turn on my PC and go straight into the bios as soon as I can, but change absolutely nothing with the bios settings and just press "save and restart," the computer boots into windows 10 fine. If I were to not go into the bios and simply let the pc boot normally, I would get the black screen. But for some reason, simply going into the bios and restarting the pc solves the issue.

My boot drive is in the topmost SATA slot on the motherboard and is the first drive in the boot priority list. I thought it may have been that my SSD still had the low-level motherboard drivers on it from my old PC, so I did a clean install of windows 10 but that did not fix the issue. I also figured out that my version of windows 10 is running in legacy mode, while my motherboard is set up in windows UEFI mode, so I changed the boot option on the asus x99-deluxe motherboard to "other OS," and the description of the option said to use it when booting into non-UEFI windows versions, which is exactly my situation. However, after I changed this option, I wasn't even getting a blinking underscore anymore, just a pure black screen and I couldn't even access the bios when the computer first turned on. So I had to clear the cmos on the motherboard just to be able to access the bios again.

...and now I'm stuck. I've essentially come back to changing nothing with the bios settings since I just cleared the cmos. I can still use the computer if I simply go into the bios on startup and then press "save and restart" but it's just annoying to do and I'd rather have a pc that boots into windows automatically.

My apologies for the long-winded message but I'm really out of options here.

If you need to know, I'm running an asus x99-deluxe motherboard and windows 10 home in legacy mode.

Solution
According to the manual, the AE=legacy boot event. So you may download and read the manual carefully, and save your data, and try reinstall the win10.
Try start with the 3.8 section boot menu in the manual. http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/X99-DELUXE/E9504_X99-DELUXE_UG_WEB.pdf
Like set the AHCI to support all devices, USB full initialization, CSM enable, boot device UEFI control, windoes UEFI mode, etc. because I don't have that MB, I don't know exactly setting, you have to play around the BIOS setting. Or even to try the "optimized defaults" setting.
According to the manual, the AE=legacy boot event. So you may download and read the manual carefully, and save your data, and try reinstall the win10.
Try start with the 3.8 section boot menu in the manual. http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/X99-DELUXE/E9504_X99-DELUXE_UG_WEB.pdf
Like set the AHCI to support all devices, USB full initialization, CSM enable, boot device UEFI control, windoes UEFI mode, etc. because I don't have that MB, I don't know exactly setting, you have to play around the BIOS setting. Or even to try the "optimized defaults" setting.

Solution