windows 10 downloaded & now taskbar & icons not working

reyne

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
downloaded windows 10 & it was working & two days ago taskbar icons stopped working can any one help please. reyne

Cinderblox

Reputable
Jan 11, 2016

Is it possible to right click an open space on the taskbar(to pop up a menu)?
Is it possible to right / left click the windows icon?

reyne

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

hello, no go, it opens menu the same as what opens when you click ' ask me anything ' your idea on uninstalling windows 10 & back to windows 8.1 & or doing a' restore point ' hope you can help, thanks for the interest. reyne

reyne

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

reyne

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Cinderblox,
yes can do but it only repeats the same menu as what opens when I click ' ask me anything '. I've also been blocked from running videos. it's really messed me up. thanks for your help. reyne

Typical Windows 10 upgrade issue. I had the same thing happen, seems pretty common. I just used this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10 scroll to the bottom and download the media creation tool and follow the instructions there. One small difference is when it ask for your key you click "skip this step" when you login to your Microsoft account afterward it automatically activates.

This might work also and is faster:

Try this. Press Windows + X
click on "Command Prompt (admin)" and hit yes when it ask about making changes.
type in (without quotes) "sfc /scannow" and press enter and let it scan and repair.

That is assuming the menu pops up when you press win + X

reyne

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
hi knight,
thanks for your interest. ran scan to get no change to taskbar. have to ask why you suggest I download windows 10 setup when I already have w.10 which gave me the problems. reyne

The issue is from the upgrade process. It is broken on your PC. Not many options here since system file checker didn't work. You can try to access the advanced repair options and do the reinstall and keep your files or you can get the installation media and do a fresh install. I recommend doing a fresh install of Windows 10.

reyne

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
excuse my total ignorance, where do you suggest I go to download program ' fresh install ' your opinion on going back to windows 8 or even 7 & way to go about that one. or doing a restore point to get rid of windows 10 if possible. thanks

As stated before, you will need to reinstall windows 10:

Typical Windows 10 upgrade issue. I had the same thing happen, seems pretty common. I just used this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10 scroll to the bottom and download the media creation tool and follow the instructions there. One small difference is when it ask for your key you click "skip this step" when you login to your Microsoft account afterward it automatically activates.

Again, your problem is a result of the upgrade process. No need to go back to 7 or 8, we are working to fix what you got.

You can also try this instead if you are uncomfortable with manually reinstalling windows. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

In that list you want "Reset your PC" and use the "keep my files" option.

I cannot guarantee this will work and may result in an unusable system. I have never done this with a freshly upgraded Windows 10.

reyne

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

reyne

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

reyne

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
hello, tried media creation tool to appear that I wasn't on the same page as you were talking about so clicked onto Microsoft link you said, which brought me to suggestion of a restore point, & or going back to previous o. s. do hope things work out. reyne

reyne

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
hello to all helped,
I've solved my problems by re installing windows 8 with the knowledge that I can go back to windows 10 in the near future.
onward & upward I hope. reyne