[BSOD] IRQL_NOT_LESS_EQUAL (ntosknrl) on new SSD/clean install.

infiniteus

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
Hey everyone! Long time lurker/searcher of solutions on this site. Just made an account now to ask, since this problem of blue screens seem to be nipping me even after getting rid of the old HDD and doing a clean install to Windows 10.

Before this blue screen, I had gotten a different blue screen that was precursored by frequent lag spikes that distorted audio. Afterward resetting it, I was met by "A drive error occurred press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart" error, which was worked around by replugging the power and SATA cables and reconnecting the SSD into a different SATA port.

Then, while asleep hours later, I'd gotten a familiar blue screen error code that had occurred often on the HDD "IRQL_NOT_LESS_EQUAL" caused by ntoskrnl+142770. Since this was a clean install on a new drive I'm wondering if it's a problem caused by a different piece of hardware?

For now, much like on the previous HDD, I'm able to fully make use of my computer and the SSD seemingly without issue. But I'm afraid that the blue screen will occur completely at random and without warning just like the previous drive.

Forgive me for being new, but I'm not sure how to upload a minidump file for more detailed information report. I have it saved on my desktop right now (the raw .dmp in an archive).

Edit: Since this post three additional issues arose. A freeze which didn't go to BSOD but still forced me to restart. A "SERVICE EXCEPTION ERROR" caused by the same exact address. And a "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT" that didn't store a dump so I'm not sure which address caused it.

Edit 2: Unsure of coincidence, but it only seems to be occurring when I'm streaming video from Chrome. I haven't re-opened any videos and the BSOD's have stopped.

Solution
Hello infiniteus

Sometimes this happens due to graphics driver that is incompatible with Google Chrome.

I was wondering if you have the latest graphics driver installed? If the driver is latest, you may want to install an earlier version of the driver and see if that helps.

As a last resort, you can always revert back Windows 10 to factory settings by Resetting Windows without Removing Files.

Also, if the problem started recently, you can try Restoring Windows to an Earlier Restore Point before going for Windows Reset.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!!
Hello infiniteus

Sometimes this happens due to graphics driver that is incompatible with Google Chrome.

I was wondering if you have the latest graphics driver installed? If the driver is latest, you may want to install an earlier version of the driver and see if that helps.

As a last resort, you can always revert back Windows 10 to factory settings by Resetting Windows without Removing Files.

Also, if the problem started recently, you can try Restoring Windows to an Earlier Restore Point before going for Windows Reset.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!!

Solution