CAt5e split pair error

Justin_47

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
I have 2 cat5e cables (about 50 feet each) that I've made up and terminated using 568B. When I test the individual cables, they both test perfectly fine, however when I join them with an inline cat5e coupler and test them together, my tester is showing a split pair error.
I've checked, double checked and triple checked the terminations and they are all 568B (and I've re-terminated each end multiple times). I've tried 5 different couplers and they all give me the same error.
My question is whether the coupler itself can make the system 'think' there is a split pair error?
The cables are buried in walls - so there is no option to re-run a new single cable.
Anyone have any thoughts?

Ralston18

Titan
Test the couplers on another pair of known working ethernet cables outside of the walls.

What pair is split?

Did all of the couplers come from the same source?

See if the problem continues but I would not suspect all of the couplers to be faulty.

Could be couplers are "mis-pinned" internally - maybe for some custom configuration..... Crossover?

Justin_47

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
I tested the coupler on several other pairs of cables - the coupler works perfectly fine.
The tester shows 1-2 as the split pair

That is a strange one! I assume you are using the Cat5 cables to connect your computer to a router. Is your performance satisfactory/upload and download speeds what you expect? Perhaps due to the length of the cable run the cable tester is giving a false positive split pair error.

Ralston18

Titan
What tester are you using? Be interesting to look at the reviews, vendor FAQ's, and forums to see if anyone else is seeing a false positive reading.

And "split pair" means that Pin 1 on each end is connected with a wire from one pair (568B says White/Orange) and then that Pin 2 on each end is being connected via some color other than Orange. I.e., one of the wires in the Green, Blue, or Brown pairings.....

Anyway, I think mjslakeridge's post is something to think about also. Especially if the two 50 foot sections are inside walls and not viewable/inspectable. Maybe there is staple somewhere that is causing the false reading but not enough to degrade service. But his question is valid: do you see actual performance being less than expected?

Is indeed "strange".

By "coupler" are you talking about a gender changer like this?

Modular-In-Line-Coupler-RJ45-BestLink.JPG

Are you doing this to extend the reach of a run?

There are 2 types of couplers a STRAIGHT and a REVERSE, the reverse does this:

1 --- 8
2 --- 7
3 --- 6
4 --- 5
5 --- 4
6 --- 3
7 --- 2
8 --- 1

To extend a run, I forget which type you need. So it depends on your application. Google.

Justin_47

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
Thanks everyone. Had a chance to set up the network over the weekend and test my LAN speed. Despite the split pair error reading on the tester, network performance was ~unaffected. So the bottom line from my perspective is that these couplers (the image posted by jsmithpa) can indeed induce a split pair error when used to extend a Cat5e cable run - but from what I can tell, I would characterize it as a false positive - at least for the network speeds I need in my house.
Cheers