Restart hangs, montiors turn off but computer does not shutdown

the flurv

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015
I've got an older Dell that everything seems to be running fine on but when I restart the machine through the windows start menu it runs through the motions of shutting down and turns off the screens but the computer itself never shuts down and restarts. I have to hold down the power button to turn off the machine then press it again to turn reboot it.

This never happened in Win7 and started happening a while after I installed Win10 on the machine

Any ideas what to look for?
Thanks

the flurv

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015
Thanks for the response.

Clean install.

I followed the instructions on the sticky thread at the top of this forum.
Once installed I ran all of windows updates which downloaded and went through all of the installing & restarting just fine.
Sometime in the last few months it started to hang on the restarts whether is restarted by me or if windows updates attempts the restart.
It will shut down normally.

thejackal85

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
Oh okay, good to know. Well, right off the bat, one thing you can try is this.

- Click start, type in msconfig. This will bring up a menu that has all the services/programs that start with your computer; disable all of them that are not needed (i.e. Adobe Reader, etc).
- Open a command prompt (run as admin) and type in sfc /scannow
This will scan your Windows OS and repair any errors it finds.

Come back when those are completed and you've tried restarting a couple times.

the flurv

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015

Ran sfc /scannow and it "did not find any integrity violations"
As for msconfig, I had most of the programs under the startup tab disabled already via the task manager. Did you want me to disable all of the services under the service tab as well, both microsoft services as well as third party?

thejackal85

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
For the services, you can disable the ones that are not needed (Google updates, Adobe updates, etc), but leave the Microsoft services on. If you're not sure if it can be turned off or not, leave it on. Services generally don't eat that much of your processing.

Can you check the event viewer and see if anything pops up in there? Maybe a program/service is hanging or something and Windows has a record of it in there.

the flurv

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015
I disabled all services that weren't Microsoft (which for my machine included Adobe, Apple, Dropbox, NVIDIA, Google, Malwarbytes, and Wacom) and it restarted normally after doing so. I re-enabled the services a few at a time restarting the machine each time until all services were enabled once again and oddly the machine is now restarting normally once again.

It seems as though the problem is narrowed down to one of the services so if the restart problem happens again I will come back and disable the services one at a time.

I did check out the event viewer and found a few errors while I was doing my restart testing (pasted below) but seeings how the machine is working normal I'm not to concerned about them at this time.

thejackal85, thank you for your guidance, much appreciated.

-------------

Source: Service Control Manager Event ID: 7031
The Sync Host_2e1e3 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
---------------
Source: DistributedCOM Event ID: 10016
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
and APPID
{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
--------------
Source: DeviceSetupManager Event ID: 131
Metadata staging failed, result=0x80070490 for container '{00000000-0000-0000-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF}'

thejackal85

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
You are very welcome! I'm glad I was able to help out. Unfortunately those errors you provided are very vague, but it looks like the primary problem is coming from the fact that one of the services is not using the correct credentials to function. You would have to do trial and error and see which one it is and go from there.

Let us know if we can help any further and don't forget to pick the best answer!