I am yet another wanting a 3-monitor setup with a Nvidia 9500GT

danielbdavis

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
One answer suggested purchasing 1 extra graphics card to use with the 2 existing on the 9500. What must I check to be certain it will work with all 3 monitors together on 1 desktop? Though I have not yet purchased them, the 2 other monitors must work with my existing Hannspree 24" monitor. I am running both Windows 7 (soon to upgrade to 10), and Puppy Linux Quirky as a dual boot config.

Solution
Your probably better off getting a card that can handle three monitors than trying to get a multi-card setup to work. Many ppl have reported issues under Windows 10. The nVidia GT 720 is a fairly cheap way of getting three monitors. Not sure what inputs your monitors support.
I believe the 720 generally has DVI-D, HDMI and VGA ports. The HDMI can be converted to DVI if needed.
psu is not 60 watts unless it is for a laptop but being you said a desktop then presume 600 watts. another option is to get a new videocard that has 3 digital outputs & not use that 9500 card unless you have at least 2 pcie 16 slots on your motherboard.

danielbdavis

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Sorry, you are right, I dropped an order of magnitude. I will need to check the slots, which I cannot do as I write this. Thank You. issues like that are why I asked. Assuming there is a second slot, I assume they synchronize using something like 'SLI', which I have read of in these forums, but know nothing about. Since writing the query, I have looked at prices for the 3-output videocards, and they are just about manageable if I dont get too sold on features, but most pictures I saw showed only 2 digital outputs at the end of the card. I am guessing that means I also need to purchase an extra digital output mounted on one of those metal ribs which fit into the back of the pc, with a wire attached, and that wire somehow attaches to the 3-output videocard. Is that right?

psoohoo

Honorable
Jul 30, 2014
Your probably better off getting a card that can handle three monitors than trying to get a multi-card setup to work. Many ppl have reported issues under Windows 10. The nVidia GT 720 is a fairly cheap way of getting three monitors. Not sure what inputs your monitors support.
I believe the 720 generally has DVI-D, HDMI and VGA ports. The HDMI can be converted to DVI if needed.

Solution