980 TI or 970's SLI for multi monitor streaming?

maxorhdbr

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
Well, I'm planning start a streaming setup, gaming streaming, which i will have 2 monitors, one for gaming, i choose a 24 inch 144hz monitor, and the second for other applications which i will have up while streaming like internet, etc, and it is a 23.8 60hz monitor, both 1080p, now, my question is, for supporting all this, which graphics cards configuration is better, i was thinking about 970's sli or a single 980 ti (hybrid model as i wont it getting higher temps),

While in first monitor i will be playing games, i want they at 60+ fps all the way, 1080p and decent graphics for actual games, such as LoL, CS:GO, some RPG, and other more heavy games, maybe GTA V with decent graphics, and so, the second monitor for everything else.

Im Between 970 sli or 980 ti cause they worth the same price, so i think 980 sli is out of question.

Im working on the following configs:

CPU: i7 6700k watercooled with h110i GT

MOBO: Asus Z170 Deluxe

RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Corsair dominator platinum

Storage: Samsung SSD 256gb 850 pro series
2TB seagate 7200rpm

Graphics Card: ???

Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i 1000 watts platinum

The Case im thinking about NZXT H440 or S340

This is my first time writing the forum, so sorry if something went wrong, sorry for super bad english

Sinistercr0c

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Most tech. sites recommend running a single more powerful GPU than two less powerful cards, given you are doubling the risks with poor driver support, power consumption and so on. If you have the money, go with the GTX980ti, it will be less of a problem.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
First you need nothing near 1000 watts for the power supply. 750 watts will run either a GTX 980ti or SLI 970's
For the video card SLI is not the way to go and for what you have listed for a single 1080p monitor with only needing high FPS with the games listed (not GTA5) it's not completive a single GTX 980 would work just fine. Your only gaming on a single 1080p monitor so the other would not really be using any power.
Their no reason to buy the PRO version of the SSD, I would also pass on the SB 2TB drive. I would be looking at a 250GB SSD Samsung EVO for the operating system and programs, add a 500GB SSD for all your games, and a simple 1TB WD blue drive for storage.
Now comes the part most people don't like. For price of the i7 6700K and the price of that motherboard you can usually buy a i7 5820K processor and motherboard adding 2 extra cores that will help with streaming for the same price.
I hope your not wasting the money for the 2nd monitor to be a 144hz buy a simple 60 MHz monitor for it.

maxorhdbr

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

Yeah, i saw that recommendations some times, but i not sure about how a single GPU or an SLI works with more than 1 monitor, i think i will run for the 980 ti, thanks for help

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

The competitive games your playing that will need high FPS are a joke and on a 1080p monitor will need nothing near a GTX 980ti the other monitor will use almost nothing since it will not be used for gaming. The LOL and GSGO you can get 200 FPS on a simple GTX 960 at 1080p

maxorhdbr

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

I wont get a low power supply, cuz i dont plan be upgrading soon about the power supply, maybe 850 is good for the pc, monitors and peripherals?
Just as i said, i dont know how a single GPU or an SLI works with multi monitor so i though an sli might work better, but dont think so right now after reading this, and so yeah 980 its not an option, im going for 980 ti.
I wont talk much about storage but you gave me a nice idea to take a diferent ssd for system and other for games so, thats nice.
And i though about those 6 cores too, but i dont know if it will really help as i see streamers with the 4790k stream really well, i will look for the prices and maybe you make me change these too, thanks for all the help sir

maxorhdbr

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

Yeah, when streaming its going easy, but if i wanna play some gta v when out of stream? and others new games are getting really heavy at graphics