Recovery Backup Options for Win 10 User who upgraded from initially Win 8.1 without CD/DVD Drive

arda21

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2005
I am sure many of us will be in the same boat.
We were all excited to get Win 10 and did a clean install, and finally after some time got everything worked OK. At least for my Lenovo Y40-80 it took some time. Now that I am adding software to focus on using most of this laptop. I wanted to make sure I create a system image that is this time in Win 10 to restore if something messes up in the near future.

However, this was a win 8.1 pc and never had win 10 restore in its restore partition that is the built-in Lenovo Restore & It has no CD/DVD Drive to create Natural Win 10 Repair Disc to boot from. So I am trying now to create a "Recovery Drive" on an external USB to keep however since I can't create a Win 10 Repair disc without CD/DVD Drive, how am I going to have access to this Win 10 backup if I have to restore to this point??

Finally I also don't have any clue that; even if I took the risk, and restored back to original Win 8.1 - is it going to be possible to pass again to Win 10 clean install.

will it be possible without any Win 10 key? I have no idea what key it passed on to when it did clean install to Win 10 this past september when I did my free upgrade...

I would appreciate your thoughts on this or if you have similar laptop and somehow you managed to create a win 10 native backup and were able to restore it without having to go back win 8.1 partition.
Thanks

Solution
You can download the Windows Media Creation Tool to create a USB stick that has the full Windows 10 installation and recovery tools. Just be sure to download the same Windows version that you have installed (i.e. Home or Pro).
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

The Media Creation Tool creates an install disk (DVD or USB Stick) that is used to install Windows 10, just like you would install any previous version of Windows. The caveat is that you do not need a Product-Key, just select skip when asked for a key during installation. Since you already had Windows 10 activated on that system, it will activate again once the install completes (the activation for Windows 10 is stored on MS servers).

Sounds like you...

rcxtra

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
You can download the Windows Media Creation Tool to create a USB stick that has the full Windows 10 installation and recovery tools. Just be sure to download the same Windows version that you have installed (i.e. Home or Pro).
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

The Media Creation Tool creates an install disk (DVD or USB Stick) that is used to install Windows 10, just like you would install any previous version of Windows. The caveat is that you do not need a Product-Key, just select skip when asked for a key during installation. Since you already had Windows 10 activated on that system, it will activate again once the install completes (the activation for Windows 10 is stored on MS servers).

Sounds like you just want the install media so you have access to the Recovery Tools, which will be on the install media once you create it with the Media Creation Tool.

Solution